Help with Math Proof: Bounded Sequence (xn), (yn) & Limsup (xn)

• Thread starter SR2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses a bounded sequence (xn) and its corresponding sequence (yn) defined as the supremum of the set {xm : m is greater or equal to n}. It is proven that (yn) is a decreasing and bounded below sequence, with the limit being called limsup(xn). The question of whether (yn) is necessarily a subsequence of (xn) is posed, with the answer being dependent on the elements in (yn). The possibility of every bounded sequence (xn) having a subsequence convergent to limsup(xn) is also discussed. The conversation ends with a suggestion to start with examples to better understand the concepts.
SR2
Let (xn) be a bounded sequence. Denote yn=sup{xm : m is greater or equal to n}. Prove

(a) (yn) is a decreasing and bounded below.

Thus, by MCT, there exists a lim(yn)=inf(yn). this limit is called limsup(xn).

(b) Is (yn) necessarily subsequence of (xn)? if so, argue why, if not, give an example where (yn) is not a subsequence of (xn).

(c) Is it true that every bounded sequence (xn) has a subsequence convergent to limsup(xn)?. If so prove it (This would provide an alternative proof for BWT!)

I feel quite clueless- what elements are there in yn.
- how do you prove that yn is decreasing if xn is increasing?
-is xm a subsequence of xn?

-also it would help if I could get a rough idea of how to prove part a and c.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SR2! :smile:

With these kind of questions (and with every math question actually), I find it best to start of with some examples. So, let's say I give you the following sequences:

[tex](-1)^n,~\frac{1}{n},~\frac{(-1)^n}{n},~-\frac{1}{n}[/tex]

can you calculate the correspond sequence [itex](y_n)[/itex] for me and can you calculate the limsup for me?

1. What is a bounded sequence in math?

A bounded sequence is a sequence of numbers that is limited or restricted within certain boundaries. This means that all the terms in the sequence fall within a specific range of values.

2. How is a bounded sequence represented in mathematical notation?

A bounded sequence is typically represented as (xn) or (yn), where n is the number of terms in the sequence. For example, (x1, x2, x3,..., xn) or (y1, y2, y3,..., yn).

3. What does it mean for a sequence to converge?

A sequence converges when its terms get closer and closer to a specific value as n approaches infinity. This specific value is called the limit, and is denoted by lim xn = L, where L is the limit.

4. What is limsup in math?

Limsup, or limit superior, is the largest limit point of a sequence. It is the largest value that the terms in the sequence can approach as n approaches infinity. It is denoted by limsup xn.

5. How do you prove that a sequence (xn) is bounded?

To prove that a sequence (xn) is bounded, you need to show that there exist two numbers, M and N, such that for all n, xn is less than or equal to M and greater than or equal to N. In other words, the terms in the sequence are limited within the boundaries of M and N.