Learn Latex Code: Best Sources to Get Started

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Nano-Passion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Code Latex
In summary, looking at other people's code is the best way to learn latex code. Texaide is a helpful tool that can help you write code quickly.
Nano-Passion
What good sources are there to learn latex code? Because I'm finding it frustrating trying to post up homework problems and trying to use paint with my laptop is equally frustrating.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best thing to do in my opinion is just look at other people's code for what they print themselves. I also have a program called texaide that let's you put down the equations you want and it'll generate the code for you for the most part. Give it a quick google.

I use online latex editor and I just copy and paste

There's this website:

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/~dwilkins/LaTeXPrimer/

The math sections would be mainly what you want. However, if you're going to actually spend the time to learn latex, you may as well download the text editor and learn how to make documents too. The whole thing is a steep learning curve, but once you get it it's way better than Word if you ever have to make a document that involves math. Word does have an equation editor, but I find it's really frustrating to use, especially as you start adding more and more formulas or you want to do multi-line equations. Latex is a little more complicated to learn, but it'll do exactly what you want it to do after a good day or two playing around with it.

I second Pengwuino's suggestion. If you want to learn enough LaTeX so you can post a few expressions here, you don't need to know all that much. By looking at what others did, you can usually figure out how it works.

If you ever get to the point where you want to learn LaTeX to write papers, it's worth getting a book, like Kopka and Daly's Guide to LaTeX, that explains LaTeX concepts. You can find a lot of the same information on the web in bits and pieces, but it's nice to have it all in one place.

Pengwuino said:
The best thing to do in my opinion is just look at other people's code for what they print themselves. I also have a program called texaide that let's you put down the equations you want and it'll generate the code for you for the most part. Give it a quick google.

This site says texaide is no longer available and they replaced it with mathtype.

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/texaide/

How do you feel about this?

On a serious note though, is mathtype also yours? Its pretty much the same but with a little helpful tweak... I sense a copyright issue. :eek:

http://code.google.com/p/utmthesis/wiki/InstallTexaide#Install_Texaide_4.0a

and this site doesn't work. =/

Last edited:
I downloaded texaide a LONG time ago and always kept the installer around somewhere. You can use mathtype but I'm not sure if it's free.

Definitely just look at what people have already written, it's very simple. It's not like you need to know anything about alignments or any fancy typesetting abilities. You probably only want to know how to write simple things like [itex]\vec{B}\over{c}[/itex] which is very obvious when you see the code.

In fact, all that is is "\vec{B}\over{c}"

1. What is Latex?

Latex is a typesetting language used for creating documents with high-quality typeset output, such as scientific papers, reports, and books.

2. Why should I learn Latex?

Learning Latex can greatly improve the visual appearance of your documents, as well as provide a more efficient and organized way of creating and managing large documents with complex formatting and mathematical equations.

3. Where can I find resources to learn Latex code?

There are many online resources available for learning Latex, such as tutorials, documentation, forums, and online courses. Some popular sources include Overleaf, ShareLatex, and the official Latex website.

4. How long does it take to learn Latex?

The time it takes to learn Latex will vary depending on your level of experience with programming languages and document creation. With consistent practice and dedication, most people can become comfortable with basic Latex code within a few weeks.

5. Is Latex difficult to learn?

Latex can be challenging to learn at first, especially if you are not familiar with programming languages. However, with practice and patience, it is possible to become proficient in Latex and reap the benefits of its powerful document formatting capabilities.