Is y a function of x or Sine in f(x)=sinx?

• Thread starter roger
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sine
In summary, f(x) = sin(x) is a function of x and sin(x). The expressions af(x) and f(ax) involve multiplying the value of f(x) or x by a constant, respectively. The function f is also a function of sin(x), but may not be solely dependent on it.
roger
Hello.

Please can someone help me with this :

f(x)=sinx

For the above, is y a function of x OR is y a function of Sine ?

Secondly, I don't understand what it means by :

a f(x)

and f(ax)

where a is 2.

What I need to know is what does each do to the graph of sin x ?

Also do each of the two af(x) and f(ax) pass the same points on the x-axis as just sinx ?

Please help me

rog

Physics news on Phys.org
For f(x) = sin(x), f is a function of x.
What is meant by af(x) is that the value of f(x) is multiplied by the constant a. The expression f(ax) means that x is multiplied by the constant a, and then function f is applied to that value.
Hope that helps! :)

f(x)=sin(x) is also a function of sin(x).
It depends how you look at it.
If you take y=sin(x), then f(x)=y. So f is clearly a function of y=sin(x).
However, since sin(x) is a function of x, f is also a function of x.

If f were given by: f(x)=sin(x)+x, it would not be a function of sin(x), but only of x.

1. What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two variables, where each input (x) has exactly one output (y).

2. How do I know if a given equation is a function?

A given equation is a function if each input (x) produces exactly one output (y). To check if an equation is a function, you can use the vertical line test. This involves drawing a vertical line through the graph of the equation. If the line intersects the graph at more than one point, then the equation is not a function.

3. What does the notation "f(x)" mean?

The notation "f(x)" is used to represent a function. It means that the output (y) is a function of the input (x). This notation is commonly used in mathematical equations to indicate the relationship between the variables.

4. What is the role of "sin" in the equation f(x)=sinx?

In this equation, "sin" is a trigonometric function that represents the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse of a right triangle. It is used to calculate the value of y (output) for a given value of x (input) in the function.

5. Can y be a function of both x and sine in the equation f(x)=sinx?

No, y cannot be a function of both x and sine in this equation. The function f(x)=sinx only has one independent variable, which is x. The sine function is used to calculate the value of y (output) for a given value of x (input), but it is not an independent variable in the equation.