Proof of symmetric and anti symmetric matrices

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that the product of a symmetric matrix and an anti-symmetric matrix is equal to 0. The hint suggests considering the interchange of indices and the definition of matrix multiplication to understand the components of the product. It is also noted that a_{ij} denotes a component of a matrix and b_{ij} denotes a component of a matrix.
prawinath

Homework Statement

aij is a symmetric matrix
bij is a an anti symmetric matrix

prove that aij * bij = 0

Homework Equations

aij * bij

The Attempt at a Solution

any one got any ideas ?

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: What happens when you interchange the indices?

[itex]a_{ij}[/itex] doesn't denote a matrix. It denotes the component on row i, column j, of a matrix.

Since [tex]\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\neq 0,[/tex] it's not true that the product of a symmetric and an antisymmetric matrix is =0. On the other hand, it is true that [itex]a_{ij}b_{ij}=0[/itex] (assuming that repeated indices are summed over). You should take some time to think about what the expression [itex]a_{ij}b_{ij}[/itex] really means, and what matrix operation(s) it involves.

Do you know the definition of matrix multiplication? If [itex]a_{ij}[/itex] denotes a component of a matrix A, and [itex]b_{ij}[/itex] denotes a component of a matrix B. Then what will you find on row i, column j of AB?

1. What is the definition of a symmetric matrix?

A symmetric matrix is a square matrix where the elements are equal to their corresponding elements reflected across the main diagonal. In other words, the element in the i-th row and j-th column is equal to the element in the j-th row and i-th column.

2. How can you prove that a matrix is symmetric?

A matrix can be proven to be symmetric by checking if it is equal to its own transpose. If the matrix A is equal to its transpose AT, then it is symmetric.

3. What does it mean for a matrix to be anti symmetric?

A matrix is anti symmetric if it is equal to the negative of its own transpose. This means that the element in the i-th row and j-th column is equal to the negative of the element in the j-th row and i-th column.

4. How do you show that a matrix is anti symmetric?

To show that a matrix is anti symmetric, you need to check if it is equal to the negative of its own transpose. If the matrix A is equal to -AT, then it is anti symmetric.

5. Can a matrix be both symmetric and anti symmetric?

No, a matrix cannot be both symmetric and anti symmetric. This is because if a matrix is symmetric, it means that it is equal to its own transpose, while if it is anti symmetric, it is equal to the negative of its own transpose. These two conditions cannot be satisfied simultaneously.