Volume of a solid between 2 functions revolved about the x-axis

In summary, the formula for finding the volume of a solid between two functions revolved about the x-axis is V = &pi;&int;<sub>a</sub><sup>b</sup>[f(x)^2 - g(x)^2]dx. The points of intersection between two functions can be determined by setting the two functions equal to each other and solving for x. The x-axis is commonly used as the axis of revolution because it is the axis of symmetry for most functions, making the calculations easier. The units for the volume of a solid between two functions revolved about the x-axis are cubic units. This formula can also be applied to other axes of revolution besides the x-axis, as long as the functions are defined in terms of
sakau2007

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a solid bounded by the functions y=1-x2 and y=0 revolved around the x-axis

Homework Equations

(don't know how to show integrals)
A=Pi * the integral from xa to xb of [f(x)]2-[g(x)]2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, to find the lower and upper x-bounds, set the functions equal to one another to get their points of intersection. You get x = 1 and -1.

To find which function is f(x) (the greater values), pick a test point between -1 and 1. I used 0 and found 1-x2 was greater along this interval.

So, V=Pi* the integral from -1 to 1 of (1-x2)2 dx.
After FOIL I get 1-2x^2+x4. The integral of this polynomial is x-(2/3)x3+(1/5)x5. I then evaluated this by plugging in 1 and subtracting when I plug in -1.

I get 16pi/15. Unsure if this is correct. Would like if someone could check my work.

Physics news on Phys.org
sakau2007 said:

Homework Statement

Find the volume of a solid bounded by the functions y=1-x2 and y=0 revolved around the x-axis

Homework Equations

(don't know how to show integrals)
A=Pi * the integral from xa to xb of [f(x)]2-[g(x)]2

The Attempt at a Solution

First, to find the lower and upper x-bounds, set the functions equal to one another to get their points of intersection. You get x = 1 and -1.

To find which function is f(x) (the greater values), pick a test point between -1 and 1. I used 0 and found 1-x2 was greater along this interval.

So, V=Pi* the integral from -1 to 1 of (1-x2)2 dx.
After FOIL I get 1-2x^2+x4. The integral of this polynomial is x-(2/3)x3+(1/5)x5. I then evaluated this by plugging in 1 and subtracting when I plug in -1.

I get 16pi/15. Unsure if this is correct. Would like if someone could check my work.

Looks fine to me.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a solid between two functions revolved about the x-axis?

The formula for finding the volume of a solid between two functions revolved about the x-axis is V = π∫ab[f(x)^2 - g(x)^2]dx, where a and b are the x-values of the points of intersection between the two functions.

How do you determine the points of intersection between two functions?

The points of intersection between two functions can be determined by setting the two functions equal to each other and solving for x.

What is the significance of using the x-axis as the axis of revolution?

The x-axis is commonly used as the axis of revolution because it is the axis of symmetry for most functions. This makes the calculations for finding the volume of a solid between two functions easier.

What are the units for the volume of a solid between two functions revolved about the x-axis?

The units for the volume of a solid between two functions revolved about the x-axis are cubic units, such as cubic inches or cubic centimeters.

Can this formula be applied to other axes of revolution besides the x-axis?

Yes, the formula for finding the volume of a solid between two functions revolved about an axis can be applied to any axis of revolution, as long as the functions are defined in terms of that axis.