Understand Basic Torque Theory & Direction of Force

In summary, torque is a measure of the rotational force on an object and is determined by the magnitude of the force, the distance from the pivot point, and the angle between the two. The right-hand rule for cross products can be used to determine the direction of the torque. However, using an incorrect definition of torque can result in a negative sign, which may or may not affect the final result depending on the problem.
Tsunoyukami
I'm not exactly sure where to ask this question but I would like someone to please help explain to me how to understand which direction a force a will torque on object. That is, how do I determine whether the force will cause it to rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?

I'm not very good at solving even elementary torque problems because this is a huge element of understanding torque.

This is what I know about toruqe so far:

[itex]\tau[/itex] = [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}[/itex] x [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r}[/itex]

|[itex]\tau[/itex]| = |[itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}[/itex]| |[itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r}[/itex]| sin [itex]\theta[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Tsunoyukami said:
This is what I know about toruqe so far:

[itex]\tau[/itex] = [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}[/itex] x [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r}[/itex]
That should be [itex]\tau[/itex] = [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{r}[/itex] x [itex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}[/itex]

Are you familiar with the right hand rule for cross products?

Also, view the animation on this page: Torque

Torque_animation.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the right-hand rule for cross products before (namely in terms of magnetism) but have never been particularly comfortable with it. Also, if I used torque as I have defined it would my resultant torque be negative (is that not a property of the cross product?)

I understand that if you apply a force in one direction to some radius (I believe this is called a moment arm?) it will cause a toruqe in one direction and if you apply a force in the opposite direction to torque, in turn will point in the opposite direction.

Tsunoyukami said:
I have used the right-hand rule for cross products before (namely in terms of magnetism) but have never been particularly comfortable with it.
This illustrates the version that I use for any cross product:

120px-R_hand_Rule.png

Here's another illustration specifically for torque: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/tord.html"
Also, if I used torque as I have defined it would my resultant torque be negative (is that not a property of the cross product?)
Yes. Your (incorrect) definition of F x r would be in the opposite direction to r x F.

It may be worth your time to explore this site: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/torcon.html"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for these links; I will explore them and ask again if I need any further clarification.

If I were to use my improper definition of torque when considering each and every torque on a given system it would still yield the same result, correct? That is, at least in any static problem since the net torque would be zero. If the problem were not static and I consistently used this definition my final result would have a negative symbol?

Tsunoyukami said:
If I were to use my improper definition of torque when considering each and every torque on a given system it would still yield the same result, correct?
That depends on the specific thing you need to figure out.
That is, at least in any static problem since the net torque would be zero.
In that case, no problem. It's equivalent to reversing the sign convention for clockwise versus counterclockwise--doesn't really matter.
If the problem were not static and I consistently used this definition my final result would have a negative symbol?
Depends on what you are asked to find. If you are actually calculating the torque vector, then your result would be in the opposite direction to the actual torque.

For simple problems that are restricted to 2 dimensions (rotation in a single plane), you may not even need the torque vector. Clockwise versus counter-clockwise is often good enough.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force that is applied to an object. It is a combination of the force applied and the distance from the point of rotation.

2. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the point of rotation. The formula for torque is T = F x d, where T is torque, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What is the direction of torque?

The direction of torque is determined by the direction of the force applied. Torque can be either clockwise or counterclockwise, depending on the direction of the force.

4. What is the relationship between torque and rotation?

Torque is directly proportional to rotation. This means that the greater the torque applied, the greater the resulting rotation of the object. Similarly, if the torque is decreased, the rotation will also decrease.

5. How does the direction of force affect torque?

The direction of the force applied affects the direction of the resulting torque. If the force is applied perpendicular to the object, the resulting torque will be maximum. If the force is applied parallel to the object, there will be no torque.