Hydraulic Seals @ 25,000+ psi?

In summary, there are a few options for a seal that can withstand pressures higher than 11,000 psi. These include HIP's chevron packings, screw pumps from companies like Ruska and D&H, and high pressure instruments from companies like Aminco and Parr. However, it is important to be extremely careful and regularly replace the seals as they may not be completely sealed and there may be slow bleeding, creeping, and thermal expansion/contraction of fluid. It is also important to have precise surface finishes and control off-axis loads to avoid injury.
BasketDaN
I'm unable to find a hydraulic seal with a maximum operating pressure any greater than 11,000 psi, and that was a specific type of "vee packing." Does anybody know of a type of seal that can withstand more?

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.globalspec.com/industrial-directory/metal_o-rings?se=ink&setag=INDIR

These are static seals.

You want a moving seal, HIP's chevron packings (screw pumps) will go to 30k --- if you're very, very careful, extremely fussy during assembly, and willing to replace the packing on a regular basis. Ruska, D&H, and a couple other instrument makers offer high-P screw pumps as well. It's a stretch to call any of them "sealed" --- there is slow bleeding, creeping of cylinder and piston (bulk failure), and thermal expansion/contraction of fluid --- bottom line? Tough to set a pressure on a system and have it stay put without positive shut off valves.

Thanks a lot, I'm not really sure of what I need here, but I don't think it's a non-static seal... I need a metal bar to be able to slide out of a container with very high pressures inside it, and I'm assuming I need a non-static seal around this bar, correct?

Yep, that's the one. Chevron Packings are the way.

Axial movement is a moving seal. This pressure range is NOT recommended for OJT --- finishes on surfaces are critical, control of off-axis loads to "zero" is non-trivial, and the available "PV" work for "non-compressible" fluids is more than adequate to do serious injury. You might consider turning your "high pressure ram" specs over to customer service or engineering support at Aminco, HIP, Parr, or some other high pressure instrument/bomb company.

Oh-ho! An "ice dilatometer!" Anything specific you're trying to determine?

1. What are hydraulic seals and how do they work under high pressure?

Hydraulic seals are mechanical components that prevent fluid from leaking out of a hydraulic system. They work by creating a tight seal between two moving parts, such as a piston and cylinder, and maintaining a high level of pressure within the system.

2. What materials are used to make hydraulic seals that can withstand 25,000+ psi?

Hydraulic seals are typically made from materials such as polyurethane, rubber, or plastic, which have high strength and durability to withstand high pressures. In some cases, metal components may also be used in the design of hydraulic seals for extra reinforcement.

3. How do you ensure the reliability and performance of hydraulic seals at such extreme pressures?

To ensure the reliability and performance of hydraulic seals at 25,000+ psi, rigorous testing and quality control measures are implemented during the manufacturing process. This includes testing for material strength, seal integrity, and compatibility with different fluids and temperatures.

4. Can hydraulic seals be used in all types of hydraulic systems, regardless of the pressure level?

While hydraulic seals can be used in a wide range of hydraulic systems, their design and material selection may vary depending on the pressure level. Seals designed for 25,000+ psi may not be suitable for lower pressure systems, and vice versa.

5. How often should hydraulic seals be replaced when operating at 25,000+ psi?

The lifespan of hydraulic seals can vary depending on factors such as pressure levels, temperature, and fluid compatibility. However, regular maintenance and inspection are recommended to ensure optimum performance and to replace seals as needed to prevent potential failures.