Calculating Damping Parameters for SDOF System

• Thread starter tommo123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rate
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating damping parameters for an SDOF system using exponential decay and logarithmic graphs. It mentions the equation of motion and its solution, and suggests consulting a textbook or website for a better understanding of the relationship between the parameters.
tommo123
I've got data that's force (g) against time for an SDOF system (with a bit of noise). The main thing I'm interested in is calculating the damping parameters, where it's exponential decay (is that called viscous?).

I've calculated the exponential envelope in Matlab, which gives me a nice exponential curve. How would I then get the damping coefficient from this, and what would my units be? Alternatively I could work from a logarithmic graph and fit a line (of the form y=mx+c), but again, would m be the damping coefficient, and what would it's units be?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Start from the equation of motion including damping, and compare its solution with what you measured.

If the equation of motion for free damped vibration is [itex]m\ddot x + c\dot x + kx = 0[/itex], the general solution is of the form [itex]e^{-pt} (A \cos \omega t + B \sin \omega t)[/itex].

Any textbook or website on SDOF should show you how p and [itex]\omega[/itex] are related to m, c, and k, if you don't want to work it out for yourself.

1. What is the purpose of calculating damping parameters for a single degree of freedom (SDOF) system?

The purpose of calculating damping parameters for an SDOF system is to determine the amount of energy dissipation in the system, which is essential for predicting its response to external forces and ensuring its stability. Damping parameters also help in designing and optimizing the system for specific applications.

2. What are the different types of damping commonly used in SDOF systems?

The three most commonly used types of damping in SDOF systems are viscous damping, hysteretic damping, and structural damping. Viscous damping is based on the principle of energy dissipation due to fluid resistance, while hysteretic damping is a result of material properties and deformation. Structural damping is a combination of both viscous and hysteretic damping.

3. How do you calculate damping ratio for an SDOF system?

The damping ratio (ζ) of an SDOF system can be calculated by dividing the actual damping coefficient by the critical damping coefficient. The critical damping coefficient is equal to two times the square root of the mass and stiffness of the system. The damping ratio is an important parameter for determining the level of damping in the system and its response to external forces.

4. What is the significance of critical damping in an SDOF system?

Critical damping is the amount of damping required to prevent the system from oscillating after being displaced. It is the optimal level of damping for a system, as any lower damping values would result in excessive oscillations and any higher values would lead to slower response times. Therefore, critical damping plays a crucial role in ensuring the stability and performance of an SDOF system.

5. How does the damping ratio affect the response of an SDOF system?

The damping ratio directly affects the amplitude and frequency of the system's response. A higher damping ratio results in a lower amplitude and a faster decay of the response, while a lower damping ratio leads to a higher amplitude and a slower decay. The damping ratio also affects the resonant frequency of the system, with higher damping ratios resulting in a lower resonant frequency and vice versa.