How to solve this partial differential equation which is a Laplace equation

In summary, the Laplace equation has an infinite number of solutions, but you can find a general solution by factoring the equation.
dimension10
I was trying to solve this partial differential equation which arose because I wanted to find a general solution to the Laplace equation in the case f=f(x,y).

[tex]\frac{{\partial}^{2}f}{{\partial x}^{2}}+\frac{{\partial}^{2}f}{{\partial y}^{2}}=0[/tex]

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The general solution would be a harmonic function, if there was a general solution for an unbounded Laplace equation. The reason why I said "would be" is because without bounds, the Laplace equation has an infinite number of solutions.

You really have to give the boundary conditions when dealing with Laplace equation, and in general for PDEs, boundary and initial conditions.

The general solution is:

[tex]f(x,y)=g(z)+h(\overline{z}),\quad z=x+iy[/tex]

where g and h are arbitrary [itex]C^2[/itex] functions of a single variable z=x+iy. We can show this by factoring the equation:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}\right) f=\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-i\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right)\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+i\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right)=\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-i\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right)u=0[/tex]

where:

[tex]u=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+i\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

So first solve:

[tex]u_t-iu_x=0[/tex]

which is an easy first-order equation which turns out to be u=g(x+it) then substitute that into:

[tex]f_x+if_y=g(x+it)[/tex]

another easy one to obtain so that the general solution is:

[tex]f(x,y)=g(x+it)+h(x-it)[/tex]

Note that means the general solution is not analytic since it contains [itex]\overline{z}[/itex] but analyticity is not a requirement for the solution but only differentiability.

Last edited:
jackmell said:
The general solution is:

[tex]f(x,y)=g(z)+h(\overline{z}),\quad z=x+iy[/tex]

where g and h are arbitrary [itex]C^2[/itex] functions of a single variable z=x+iy. We can show this by factoring the equation:

[tex]\left(\frac{\partial^2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2}{\partial y^2}\right) f=\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-i\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right)\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}+i\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right)=\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial x}-i\frac{\partial}{\partial y}\right)u=0[/tex]

where:

[tex]u=\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}+i\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex]

So first solve:

[tex]u_t-iu_x=0[/tex]

which is an easy first-order equation which turns out to be u=g(x+it) then substitute that into:

[tex]f_x+if_y=g(x+it)[/tex]

another easy one to obtain so that the general solution is:

[tex]f(x,y)=g(x+it)+h(x-it)[/tex]

Note that means the general solution is not analytic since it contains [itex]\overline{z}[/itex] but analyticity is not a requirement for the solution but only differentiability.

Thanks.

To solve this partial differential equation, you can use various methods such as separation of variables, Fourier series, or Green's function. However, since the equation is a Laplace equation, it is a special case of the more general Poisson equation, which has well-established methods for solving it.

One approach is to use the method of separation of variables, where you assume that the solution can be written as a product of two functions, one depending only on x and the other depending only on y. You can then substitute this into the equation and rearrange to get two ordinary differential equations, which can be solved separately. The solutions can then be combined to form the general solution.

Another approach is to use Fourier series, where you can express the solution as a sum of sine and cosine functions with unknown coefficients. These coefficients can be determined by applying the boundary conditions of the problem.

Finally, you can also use Green's function, which is a powerful tool for solving linear differential equations. It involves finding a function that satisfies the equation and certain boundary conditions, and then using it to construct the solution to the original problem.

In summary, there are various methods available for solving the Laplace equation, and the choice of method will depend on the specific problem and your personal preference. I would recommend consulting a textbook or seeking guidance from a mathematical expert for further assistance.

1. How do you determine the boundary conditions for a Laplace equation?

Boundary conditions for a Laplace equation are typically given as the values of the unknown function at the boundary of the given domain. These can be either Dirichlet conditions, where the function value is specified at the boundary, or Neumann conditions, where the derivative of the function is specified at the boundary.

2. What is the general approach for solving a Laplace equation numerically?

The general approach for solving a Laplace equation numerically is to discretize the domain into a grid and approximate the Laplace operator using finite difference methods. The resulting algebraic system can then be solved using iterative techniques such as the Jacobi or Gauss-Seidel method.

3. Can you give an example of a physical system modeled by a Laplace equation?

A common example of a physical system modeled by a Laplace equation is the steady-state temperature distribution in a conducting material with no internal heat sources. The Laplace equation describes the equilibrium state where the temperature is constant throughout the material.

4. How do you check the accuracy of a numerical solution for a Laplace equation?

The accuracy of a numerical solution for a Laplace equation can be checked by comparing it with an analytical solution, if available. Alternatively, convergence studies can be performed by refining the grid and observing the change in the solution. The solution is considered accurate if it converges to a specific value as the grid is refined.

5. Are there any limitations to using numerical methods for solving Laplace equations?

One limitation of using numerical methods for solving Laplace equations is the need for a well-defined boundary and initial conditions. Additionally, the choice of grid and discretization method can affect the accuracy and stability of the solution. In some cases, the use of numerical methods may also be computationally expensive and time-consuming.