Straight Line Graphs -Plotting, Gradient, Intercept & Finding Equation

In summary, the student was trying to find the equation of a straight line graph based on points they picked on the line. They found the equation, found the slope and y-intercept, and solved for the b-value.
lloydowen

Homework Statement

I have an issue with Straight Line graphs, I have never done them before (I touched on them in Seconday School, y=mx+c that sort of stuff) Now I've been faced with a problem that I need to learn. It's not homework it's revision but I thought it was more relevant to post here :P

Questions
a) Plot the Graph R vs T (R Vertical, T Horizontal)
b) Find the gradient and intercept
c)Establish the equation of the graph
d) Calculate R when t = 200

Homework Equations

Cloud2go%205%20Dec%202011%2020:41.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have graph paper available :( But...
Cloud2go%205%20Dec%202011%2020:43.jpg

Any help/guidance at all would be appreciated, I realize the size of the question :)

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you'll need to draw a best-fitting line for the scatter plot. Check this link to see how. Once you draw the line, pick two points on the line (they don't necessarily have to be the data points), and use them to find your slope and y-intercept.

Thanks buddy! I'll give it a go now :)

Ok, so I picked two points, but what do I do with them? I looked at that link and it doesn't show what to do next :/

If you have two points
(x1, y1) and (x2, y2)
you find the slope using this formula:
[tex]m = \frac{y_2 - y_1}{x_2 - x_1}[/tex]

Then you take the slope-intercept form the equation,
y = mx + b,
and plug in the slope you just found for m, and one of the points for x and y (doesn't matter which one), and solve for b, the y-intercept.

Alright, so I worked out that my M=0.4
So [itex]y=(0.4)(47) + (b)[/itex] What is B? That website that b=(y)intercept That's a little confusing because I thought we were trying to find (y) ?

lloydowen said:
Alright, so I worked out that my M=0.4
So [itex]y=(0.4)(47) + (b)[/itex] What is B? That website that b=(y)intercept That's a little confusing because I thought we were trying to find (y) ?
No, we want to find b, the y-intercept, first. To do so, you'll also need to plug in the y-coordinate of the point you used (was it 120?):
[itex]120=(0.4)(47) + b[/itex]

It was 118, so then do I need to re-arrange that formula then to get b the subject?

Actually sorry yes It was 120, I read the wrong column..

Yes, you have to solve for b.

I noticed that the variables used are t and R. You'll have to change to equation to
R = 0.4t + b,
after you find b.

So if [itex](0.4)(47)= 18.8[/itex] then would it be [itex]b=120-18.8[/itex]

Yes, although I'm wondering about your slope, m. Is it exactly 0.4? If not, use the "exact" value instead for your slope.

eumyang said:
Yes, although I'm wondering about your slope, m. Is it exactly 0.4? If not, use the "exact" value instead for your slope.

Well it wasn't because of the type of paper I was using, but I use a graph on the computer and it came to 0.43.

So then if [itex] 120=(0.43)(47) + b[/itex] Correct me if I am wrong but [itex] b=120-20.21[/itex]? So would 'b' be (sounded confusing lol) 99.

Not sure what happened there [tex]b=99.79[/itex]?

b = 99.79 sounds reasonable. Now you have
R = 0.43t + 99.79.
Now do part (d).

So... [itex]T=200, R=200(0.43)+99.79 = R= 185.79[/itex]

Thanks so much! I really do owe this forum a lot, and after this exam I will be answering questions that people have on here (if I can) :D:D:D Such a great community here!

1. What is a straight line graph?

A straight line graph is a graphical representation of a linear relationship between two variables. It consists of a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis, with each point on the graph representing a specific value of the two variables.

2. How do you plot a straight line graph?

To plot a straight line graph, you need to have at least two points. Plot the points on the graph and then draw a straight line connecting them. Make sure to label the axes and include a title for the graph.

3. What is the gradient of a straight line graph?

The gradient of a straight line graph is the measure of the steepness of the line. It is calculated by dividing the change in y-values by the change in x-values between two points on the line. The gradient can be positive, negative, or zero.

4. How do you find the equation of a straight line graph?

To find the equation of a straight line graph, you need to know the gradient and the y-intercept. The equation is in the form y = mx + c, where m is the gradient and c is the y-intercept. You can use any two points on the line to calculate the gradient and then substitute the values into the equation.

5. What is the y-intercept of a straight line graph?

The y-intercept of a straight line graph is the point where the line intersects the y-axis. It is the value of y when x is equal to zero. In the equation y = mx + c, the y-intercept is represented by the constant c.