Converting integer into array of single digits in C#?

In summary: Nope, :confused:Converting 12345 to an integer array:int[] digits = Regex.Replace(numberToParse, "[^0-9]", "").Select(x => (int)Char.GetNumericValue(x)).ToArray();If you only need a character array you can obviously stop after the Regex.Replace().Converting 12345 to an integer array:int[] digits = Regex.Replace(numberToParse, "[^0-9]", "").Select(x => (int)Char.GetNumericValue(x)).ToArray();If you only need a character array you can obviously stop after the
rollcast
Whats the easiest way to take an integer in C# and convert it into an array of length equal to the number of digits and each element is a digit from the integer?

EG. If I had the integer 12345 I want to convert it to an array like so {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}

Thanks
AL

Technology news on Phys.org
rollcast said:
Whats the easiest way to take an integer in C# and convert it into an array of length equal to the number of digits and each element is a digit from the integer?

EG. If I had the integer 12345 I want to convert it to an array like so {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}

Thanks
AL

I don't know if it's easiest, but in C I would use the modulus operator %. Can you see how you would use it to do this task?

berkeman said:
I don't know if it's easiest, but in C I would use the modulus operator %. Can you see how you would use it to do this task?

Nope, :confused:

Converting 12345 to an integer array:

Code:
int[] digits = 12345.ToString().ToCharArray().Select(Convert.ToInt32).ToArray();

If you only need a character array you can obviously stop after the ToCharArray().

Filip Larsen said:
Converting 12345 to an integer array:

Code:
int[] digits = 12345.ToString().ToCharArray().Select(Convert.ToInt32).ToArray();

If you only need a character array you can obviously stop after the ToCharArray().

The conversion to an int array is not quite right. The Convert.ToInt32 will convert the char to its equivalent decimal value which is not the same as parsing it. e.g. the character '1' will be converted to 49. Instead you will have to use the int.Parse which will require casting the char to a string first but the better approach is to use the Char.GetNumericValue and cast to int16, int32 as preferred because the method returns a double.

The code should look like:

Code:
int[] digits = 12345.ToString().ToCharArray().Select(x => (int)Char.GetNumericValue(x)).ToArray();

To take it to the next level and you want to convert an unknown string you can use regex to strip out non numeric characters.

Code:
int[] digits = Regex.Replace(numberToParse, "[^0-9]", "").Select(x => (int)Char.GetNumericValue(x)).ToArray();

How Can I Convert an Integer into an Array of Single Digits in C#?

Q1: Why Would I Want to Convert an Integer into an Array of Digits?

Converting an integer into an array of single digits is useful in various programming scenarios, such as performing digit-wise operations, extracting individual digits for processing, or displaying numbers as individual digits. It allows for greater flexibility in working with numbers.

Q2: What is the General Approach to Convert an Integer into an Array of Digits?

The general approach involves the following steps:

1. Convert the integer into a string representation using the ToString() method.
  2. Iterate through the characters of the string, representing each character as a single-digit integer.
  3. Store each single-digit integer in an array or collection.