Geminid Meteor Shower: Look Up After 10 PM EST Tonight

• Thread starter Jimmy Snyder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteor
In summary, tonight's meteor shower will be very good due to the nearly full moon. You should be able to catch 40 streaks an hour.
Jimmy Snyder
Look up after 10 pm EST tonight and be sure to duck lest you get one of these grains of sand in your eye. The nearly full moon will wash out some of it, but still you should get 40 streaks an hour. I'm really looking forward to it, as we haven't had a shower in months.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy Snyder said:
I'm really looking forward to it, as we haven't had a shower in months.
I spend a month in the shower once a year and I'm good for the next 11.

Oh thanks Jimmy, it's raining here! :grumpy:

Evo said:
Got a cloud-deck that is not quite solid enough to block off the Moon, but is surely thick enough to block off meteors.

Evo said:
Just as well. I'm afraid one would land on your head and break your toe.

Jimmy Snyder said:
Just as well. I'm afraid one would land on your head and break your toe.
At least I could get out a yelp first! Now it will just be THUD..HISSSSSSS

Crud, I just got online to see what weather is like outside. It is mostly cloudy out.

I can't even remember what we did before we had the internet.

Ivan Seeking said:
Crud, I just got online to see what weather is like outside. It is mostly cloudy out.

I can't even remember what we did before we had the internet.
We didn't know there was a meteor shower until 3 months later when you noticed a comment in Scientific American asking if anyone had seen it.

Evo said:
We didn't know there was a meteor shower until 3 months later when you noticed a comment in Scientific American asking if anyone had seen it.

I meant to check the weather.

Ivan Seeking said:
I meant to check the weather.
You could check the weather? When I was young, you went out the front door...

Evo said:
You could check the weather? When I was young, you went out the front door...

Oh yeah. I just look online now.

Honestly, one day I caught myself getting online to see if it was raining outside.

Ivan Seeking said:
Oh yeah. I just look online now.

Honestly, one day I caught myself getting online to see if it was raining outside.
Our local forecast is so bad that whatever they forecast, you know it will be the opposite. No snow in the forecast=blizzard.

Ivan Seeking said:
According to the internet it's 52F, with scattered clouds, 80% humidity, winds E at 4pmh, here.
No mention of meteors.

zoobyshoe said:
According to the internet it's 52F, with scattered clouds, 80% humidity, winds E at 4pmh, here.
No mention of meteors.

Here it is 25F and cloudy, with rain and snow expected until June.

The major meteor showers occur at the same time every year. They are caused by the Earth passing through the remains of a comet's tail.

Meteor shower

The current infestation is caused by an asteroid that calls itself 3200 Phaethon, known by its friends as simply Phaethon, discovered by Fred Whipple (his brother George was stock boy for our local grocery store before he was fired for damaging the goods. There is no record of Fred ever being fired for squeezing an asteroid). According to the official astronomical website Wiki, Phaethon approached to 18.1 Gm (that's Mm with a G) of Kansas on December 10, 2007. It will draw nearer in 2017, 2050, 2060, and closer still on December 14, 2093, passing within 0.0198 AU (3.0 Gm). This last pass is most disconcerting since by then Evo will be too old to get out of its way.

From Southern California: I just stepped out on the patio and cranked my neck back to look as straight up as I could. Very clear viewing night despite the full moon, urban light contamination and a few small cloud wisps.

Took less than a minute to catch a beauty! Strong solid orange streaker that ran directly overhead from south to north. I could actually watch it travel. I ran a quick replay in my head and figured it must have been a good two seconds or more. Cool!

Awesome. Never knew one could see meteor showers that far back into the past.

What is the Geminid meteor shower?

The Geminid meteor shower is an annual event that occurs in December when the Earth passes through the debris left behind by the asteroid 3200 Phaethon.

When is the best time to view the Geminid meteor shower?

The Geminid meteor shower is best viewed after 10 PM EST, when the constellation Gemini is high in the sky. However, meteors can also be seen before and after this time.

Where is the Geminid meteor shower visible?

The Geminid meteor shower is visible from all over the world, but the best viewing conditions are in areas with little light pollution and a clear view of the night sky.

How many meteors can be seen during the Geminid meteor shower?

During the peak of the Geminid meteor shower, which typically occurs around December 13th and 14th, around 120 meteors per hour can be seen.

Do I need any special equipment to view the Geminid meteor shower?

No, the Geminid meteor shower can be seen with the naked eye. However, it is recommended to find a dark location away from city lights for the best viewing experience.