Book Recommendations: Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry & Calculus

In summary, the individual is seeking book recommendations for algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus. For precalculus, the books "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang and "Principles of Mathematics" by Allendoerfer & Oakey are recommended. Another suggestion is the Gelfand high school mathematics collection, specifically "Algebra" by Gelfand and Shen and "Trigonometry" by Gelfand and Saul. These books are challenging and affordable.
jaja1990
Hi,

I need two book recommendations for each of the following, one classical (i.e. covers the subject in detail, more like a reference, and influential if such book exists) and one as a quick study material.

The topics:-

1) Algebra
2) Geometry
3) Trigonometry
4) Calculus

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For Precalculus (that is, the stuff before Calculus):
One recommendation that I've seen here is Basic Mathematics by Serge Lang (ignore the book cover graphic - it's wrong), which would cover the basics of algebra, geometry and trigonometry. (However, I've also read of one dissenting opinion about this book.)

Another recommendation I've read about here is Principles of Mathematics by Allendoerfer & Oakey.

A series I really liked is the Gelfand high school mathematics collection: Algebra by Gelfand and Shen, Trigonometry by gelfand and Saul. They're challenging and rewarding books, you can't go wrong at the price they're at.

1. What are some good resources for learning algebra?

There are many great resources for learning algebra, including textbooks, online courses, and educational websites. Some popular options include Khan Academy, Coursera, and textbooks like "Algebra: Structure and Method, Book 1" by Richard G. Brown.

2. Can you recommend a geometry book for beginners?

For beginners, "Geometry: A Complete Course" by Dan Pedoe is a highly recommended textbook. Other resources include online courses like Udemy's "Geometry Fundamentals" or educational websites like Mathplanet.

3. What is a good trigonometry resource for visual learners?

For visual learners, "Trigonometry: A Visual Approach" by Paul Foerster is a great textbook that uses diagrams and illustrations to explain concepts. Other options include videos from channels like Mathantics and Mathispower4u.

4. Are there any online resources for learning calculus?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning calculus such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare. Some popular textbooks include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart and "Calculus: A Complete Course" by Robert A. Adams.

5. What is the best way to practice and improve in these subjects?

The best way to practice and improve in algebra, geometry, trigonometry, and calculus is through consistent practice and solving a variety of problems. You can also benefit from working with a tutor or joining study groups to discuss and review concepts. Additionally, using online tools like interactive quizzes and practice tests can help reinforce your understanding of these subjects.