Integration by substitution (and esp. Weierstrass' substitution)

In summary, the conversation revolved around the relationship between differentials and fractions, particularly when using substitution in integration. It was established that, as long as u(x) is invertible, dx/du is equal to 1/(du/dx). However, it was also noted that careful consideration must be taken when using either form in integration, as it depends on whether du/dx is a constant or not.
dodo
The stupid question of the day.

Is it fair to say that[tex]\frac{du}{dx} = \frac 1 {dx/du}
[/tex]since this comes (I think) from the chain rule,[tex]
\frac{dx}{du} \frac{du}{dx} = \frac{dx}{dx} = 1
[/tex]

Which means that, when integrating by substitution, I can choose to do either of[tex]
\int f(u) du = \int f(x) \frac {du}{dx} dx = \int \frac {f(x)} {dx/du} dx
[/tex]depending on which derivative I happen to have at hand.

(Just checking; you can't be too careful when treating differentials as it they were fractions, which they aren't.)

The matter came out while studying Weierstrass' substitution, where[tex]
\begin{align*}
\int \frac 1 {\sin x} dx &= \int \frac {\frac{1+t^2}{2t}} {\frac{1+t^2}{2}}
= \int \frac 1 t dt &\mbox{with }t=\tan \frac x 2
\end{align*}
[/tex]because [itex]\frac {dt}{dx}[/itex] is easier to figure out than [itex]\frac {dx}{dt}[/itex].

Any more detail (particularly from the viewpoint of analysis) is welcome. Right now I feel like I'm just shuffling symbols without really knowing what am I doing.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as u(x) is invertible (i.e. as long as du/dx is not 0), yes, [itex]dx/du= 1/(du/dx)[/itex].

Your second statement is also correct but you have to be careful with it. Unless du/dx is a constant we cannot just shift du/dx inside or outside the integral. But we can use one or the other of those forms, whichever is appropriate.

Hey, Halls, thanks.
HallsofIvy said:
Unless du/dx is a constant we cannot just shift du/dx inside or outside the integral.

Yes, I absolutely agree! The intention was, as you say next, choosing one form or the other, depending on which derivative I find easier to get.

1. What is integration by substitution?

Integration by substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify the integration of complicated functions. It involves replacing the variable in the original function with another variable, which then allows for easier integration.

2. How does integration by substitution work?

The basic steps for integration by substitution are:1. Identify a complicated function within the integral.2. Choose a substitution variable that will simplify the function.3. Rewrite the entire integral in terms of the substitution variable.4. Solve for the new integral using basic integration techniques.5. Substitute the original variable back into the solution.

3. What is the purpose of Weierstrass' substitution?

Weierstrass' substitution is a specific type of substitution used in integration, named after mathematician Karl Weierstrass. It is often used to evaluate integrals that contain a square root of a quadratic function.

4. How do I know when to use Weierstrass' substitution?

You can use Weierstrass' substitution when the integrand contains a square root of a quadratic function. This can be identified by looking for a perfect square within the function.

5. Are there any limitations to integration by substitution?

Yes, there are some limitations to integration by substitution. It may not always be possible to find a suitable substitution variable, and some integrals may require multiple substitutions or other techniques to solve. Additionally, integration by substitution may not work for improper integrals or for functions with complex components.