Calculate Resonant Frequency & Capacitive Reactance

• Thread starter aurao2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactance
In summary, to calculate the resonant frequency for a series circuit with a 300uF capacitor and a 800mH inductor, use the formula f = 1/2pi(LC)^1/2. Then, to find the capacitive reactance, use the formula Xc = -1/2pifC. It is important to assign units to all values in the equations. In this case, the final answer for capacitive reactance will be expressed as a negative in ohms.
aurao2003

Homework Statement

Now demonstrate how to calculate resonant frequency. Calculate the capacitive reactance for a 300uF capacitor in series with a 800mH inductor.

Homework Equations

f = 1/2pi(LC)^1/2
Xc = -1/2pifC

Hi
I urgently need this solution checked out for my BTech deadline. The question reads thus:

The Attempt at a Solution

where L = 800mH, C = 300uF

so,
f = 1/2pi(800 x 10^-3 x 300 x 10^-6)
So, f = 10.3 Hz

so, Xc =-1/2pi (10.27 x 300 x 10^-6)

Will my final answer be expressed as a negative?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
aurao2003 said:

Homework Statement

Now demonstrate how to calculate resonant frequency. Calculate the capacitive reactance for a 300uF capacitor in series with a 800mH inductor.

Homework Equations

f = 1/2pi(LC)^1/2
Xc = -1/2pifC

Hi
I urgently need this solution checked out for my BTech deadline. The question reads thus:

The Attempt at a Solution

where L = 800mH, C = 300uF

so,
f = 1/2pi(800 x 10^-3 x 300 x 10^-6)
So, f = 10.3 Hz

so, Xc =-1/2pi (10.27 x 300 x 10^-6)

Will my final answer be expressed as a negative?
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Technically capacitive reactance is a negative reactance, so best to express it so. Also be sure to assign it the appropriate units! Everything should have units :wink:

gneill said:
Technically capacitive reactance is a negative reactance, so best to express it so. Also be sure to assign it the appropriate units! Everything should have units :wink:

So, my final answer is in ohms and negative. Aside from that, is my working okay? I feel its fine but its the determinant for a distinction or a merit.

Thanks.

Harold251 said:
be sure to assign it the appropriate unitshttp://www.infoocean.info/avatar2.jpg

Thanks everyone. I take that as a yes! My sincere appreciation and gratitude.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. It looks like you have the correct equations and have plugged in the values correctly. However, your final answer for Xc should not be expressed as a negative. The negative sign in the equation is just to indicate that Xc is an "opposing" reactance, meaning that it is in the opposite direction of the current flow. But the actual value of Xc should be positive.

So, your final answer for Xc should be:

Xc = 1/2pi(10.27 x 300 x 10^-6)

I hope this helps! Good luck with your BTech deadline.

1. What is the formula for calculating resonant frequency?

The formula for calculating resonant frequency is fr = 1/(2π√LC), where fr represents the resonant frequency, L is the inductance of the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the circuit.

2. How do you calculate capacitive reactance?

Capacitive reactance can be calculated using the formula XC = 1/(2πfC), where XC is the capacitive reactance, f is the frequency of the current, and C is the capacitance of the circuit.

3. What is the unit of measurement for resonant frequency?

The unit of measurement for resonant frequency is hertz (Hz), which represents the number of cycles per second.

4. Can capacitive reactance be negative?

Yes, capacitive reactance can be negative. This occurs when the frequency of the current is high enough that the capacitive reactance becomes greater than the inductive reactance in the circuit.

5. How does changing the capacitance affect the resonant frequency?

Changing the capacitance in a circuit affects the resonant frequency by altering the amount of energy that can be stored in the capacitor. As capacitance increases, the resonant frequency decreases, and vice versa.