What is the Limit of the Natural Logarithm of Infinity Minus One?

In summary, the integral \int^{\infty}_{1}\frac{1}{e^{t}-1}dt can be solved using a substitution of u=e^t, resulting in the limit as u approaches infinity of 1-ln(u-1). In order to evaluate this limit, the two natural logarithms can be combined into one, resulting in the final answer of 1-ln(e-1).
autobot.d
[itex]\int^{\infty}_{1}[/itex][itex]\frac{1}{e^{t}-1}dt[/itex]

[itex]= -ln(e - 1) + 1 [/itex]

Not sure how to get the +1 part from infinity, seems like it should be infinity, i.e.
[itex] ln(e^{\infty} -1) = ? [/itex]

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What anti-derivative did you find?
What is the limit as [itex]t \to \infty[/itex]?

autobot.d said:

Not sure how to get the +1 part from infinity, seems like it should be infinity, i.e.

I don't know how you solve this integral, but I must make a substitution:

[itex]e^t=u\Longrightarrow t=\log u \Longrightarrow dt=\frac{du}{u}[/itex] , so the integral becomes:

[itex]\int^{\infty}_e \frac{du}{u(u-1)}=\int^\infty_e\frac{du}{u-1}-\int^\infty_e\frac{du}{u}= 1-\log (e-1)[/itex] , after evaluating the limit in infinity...

DonAntonio

autobot.d said:

Eventually your answer will boil down to [itex]\lim\limits_{a \rightarrow \infty} (-ln|a| + ln|a-1| + ...)[/itex] (as you can see from DonAntonio's work above).

You need to take this limit, can you think of a way to combine the two natural logarithms in order to do this?

1. What is a finite integral?

A finite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a finite interval. It is used to calculate the total amount of a quantity, such as displacement or velocity, over a specific range of values.

2. How is a finite integral different from an infinite integral?

A finite integral has a specific starting and ending point, while an infinite integral does not have a defined range. Additionally, a finite integral yields a numerical value, while an infinite integral may yield a numerical value or an infinite value.

3. What is the purpose of a finite integral?

The purpose of a finite integral is to calculate the total amount of a quantity over a specific interval. It is commonly used in mathematics, physics, and engineering to solve problems related to position, velocity, acceleration, and other physical quantities.

4. How is a finite integral calculated?

A finite integral is calculated by finding the area under a curve using a mathematical formula. This formula involves taking the limit of a sum of smaller areas, called Riemann sums, as the number of intervals approaches infinity.

5. Can a finite integral have a negative value?

Yes, a finite integral can have a negative value if the function being integrated has negative values within the specified interval. The negative value simply represents the area under the curve below the x-axis.