Find Length of Sine Curve using Calculus

In summary, the author tried to find the length of a sine curve using calculus and got stuck. He then used Wolfram Alpha and found that the answer was in the form of an elliptic integral of the 2nd kind.
1994Bhaskar
I tried to find the length of a sine curve using calculus.I got stuck in the integral of integral(sqrt(cos(x)^2+1), x, 0, a). Limits are from 0 to point a,i.e. length of curve from 0 to any point a.With some approximations I found out the length of sine curve as a result.I have attached the derivation of my result.I tried searching books and internet for this result.But couldn't find like this one.It also seems that this result gives more precise answer.

Attachments

• Attempt to find length of sine curve from 0 to any a.pdf
    45.4 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
chiro said:
Hey 1994Bhaskar.

I cheated and used the Wolfram Alpha computational knowledge engine and the answer according to them, was that the answer was in the form of an elliptic integral of the 2nd kind. On wikipedia, it gives you this...

I know elliptic integrals.It comes when you try to find time period of a simple pendulum without taking usual approximation:that angular displacement is very small and that
sin(θ)≈θ in radians.But even elliptical integrals can't be solved analytically.You have to solve it in a calculator/computer or use interpolation formula's to carry out integral approximately.However the method of approximation which I used gives a result which gives better answer compared to a calculator or interpolation.In the end of pdf I have given three checks of that result which I haven't seen anywhere.I have also searched the net extensively.That's why I posted here to ask you guys if it's a new result or not??

1994Bhaskar said:
I know elliptic integrals.It comes when you try to find time period of a simple pendulum without taking usual approximation:that angular displacement is very small and that
sin(θ)≈θ in radians.But even elliptical integrals can't be solved analytically.You have to solve it in a calculator/computer or use interpolation formula's to carry out integral approximately.However the method of approximation which I used gives a result which gives better answer compared to a calculator or interpolation.In the end of pdf I have given three checks of that result which I haven't seen anywhere.I have also searched the net extensively.That's why I posted here to ask you guys if it's a new result or not??

I don't know if its a new result or not (hell I didn't know what an elliptic integral was!). Hopefully somebody else can give you a better answer.

chiro said:
I don't know if its a new result or not (hell I didn't know what an elliptic integral was!). Hopefully somebody else can give you a better answer.

Thanks for your effort.It means a lot.Can you also suggest where else can I put up my query? Or mail someone?
Any help will be useful.

1. What is the formula for finding the length of a sine curve using calculus?

The formula for finding the length of a sine curve using calculus is given by the arc length formula, which is L = ∫ √(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx. This formula takes into account the changing slope of the curve and calculates the total length of the curve.

2. How do you find the limits of integration for the arc length formula?

The limits of integration for the arc length formula can be found by setting the variable x equal to the starting and ending points of the curve. For example, if the curve starts at x = 0 and ends at x = π, then the limits of integration would be from 0 to π.

3. Can the arc length formula be applied to other types of curves besides sine curves?

Yes, the arc length formula can be applied to any smooth curve, not just sine curves. It takes into account the changing slope of the curve and calculates the total length of the curve.

4. How does calculus help in finding the length of a sine curve?

Calculus helps in finding the length of a sine curve by providing the arc length formula, which takes into account the changing slope of the curve. Calculus also allows us to take derivatives and integrals, which are necessary for finding the limits of integration and solving the arc length formula.

5. Is there an easier way to find the length of a sine curve without using calculus?

No, the arc length formula is the most accurate and efficient way to find the length of a sine curve. Other methods, such as using geometric approximations or dividing the curve into smaller parts, will not give as precise of a result.