Conductivity of Conjugated Polymers: 1D or P Type?

• Thread starter tufnatufna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polymers
In summary, the conversation discusses the conductivity of conjugated polymers and how they can become conductive when doped with another element. The conductivity is mainly 1D due to the delocalization of pi electrons along the carbon backbone, but can also occur between polymer chains. The intermolecular structure greatly affects the mobility of conjugated polymers, with some able to have two dimensional mobility. It is also mentioned that polymers used in PV cells are semiconductive, specifically P type.
tufnatufna
Hi!
I have a question related to conductivity of conjugated polymers. I found that they could become conductive if they're dopped with any other element. Is it 1D conductivity because I read that electrons are not so mobile between the chains of polymers in a bulk, but they are along a polymer chain?

I understood that the polymers used in PV cells are semiconductive (P type). Am I right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the conductivity is mainly 1D because the conduction electrons are pi electrons that are delocalized along the polymer's carbon backbone. Conduction can occur between polymer chains, however, if an electron "hops" from one chain to the next.

The mobility of conjugated polymers is very, very dependent on the intermolecular structure. For instance, P3HT can form a herring bone structure that allows for two dimensional mobility.

1. What is the definition of "conductivity" for conjugated polymers?

Conductivity refers to the ability of a material to conduct electricity. In the case of conjugated polymers, it specifically refers to the movement of electrons through the material, which is important for their use in electronic devices.

2. How are 1D and P type conductivities different?

1D (one-dimensional) and P type (positive type) conductivities refer to different types of electron movement in conjugated polymers. 1D conductivity involves the movement of electrons along the length of the polymer chain, while P type conductivity refers to the movement of positively charged "holes" in the material.

3. Which type of conductivity is more common in conjugated polymers?

Both 1D and P type conductivities can be found in conjugated polymers, but 1D conductivity is generally more common. This is because the structure of conjugated polymers allows for the delocalization of electrons along the chain, making 1D conductivity more efficient.

4. How does the structure of a conjugated polymer affect its conductivity?

The structure of a conjugated polymer, specifically the arrangement of its repeating units, can greatly impact its conductivity. Polymers with a highly ordered and extended structure tend to have higher conductivities, as this allows for more efficient electron movement.

5. What are some potential applications of conjugated polymers with high conductivity?

Conducting polymers have a wide range of potential applications, including flexible electronics, solar cells, and sensors. They are also being studied for use in batteries and supercapacitors, as well as in medical devices and drug delivery systems.