What is the work done by rocket motors in deep space?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a rocket of mass 2200kg accelerating at 2.5m/s^2 over a distance of 650m in deep space. The question is asking for the work done, and the solution provided in the answer key is 7150000, which does not match the calculation done by the person. The possibility of a mistake in the answer key is considered, as well as the potential impact of changing parameters in the problem.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

Rocket motors make a rocket of mass of 2200kg accelerate at 2.5m/s^2 over a distance of 650m in deep space. What is the work done?

The Attempt at a Solution

F=m*a 2200kg*2.5m/s^2 = 5500N
5500*650= 3575000

When I look at the answer page it tells me the force causing acceleration is 11000N. I generally can't see where this figure has come from. The only thing I can see if i double the answer I get it = the answer that is given wd= 7150000.

The only other possible solution I can come to is that, the mass of the rocket decrease as it accelerates, so the original mass of rocket was 4400kg. If I used this figure it would give me the right answer. Is this the right train of thought?

Physics news on Phys.org
my guess is the book is wrong, maybe someone changed the problem parameters for a new edition and forgot to change the answer like halving the acceleration or mass of the rocket in the problem and forgetting to halve it in the answer.

work = mass * acceleration * distance traveled

and they don't give you enough info about rocket engine burn rates to factor in a changing rocket mass. also typically in a problem saying the rocket is 2200kg means that's what it is initially.

Thanks for the reply, I am starting to think this to due to other question in the book are not matching with the formulae e.g k.e of a cheetah of 48Kg running at 30m/s = 43200 which clearly is not right according to the formulae.

1. What is work done by rocket motors?

Work done by rocket motors refers to the amount of energy or force required to lift a rocket off the ground and propel it into space. This work is usually measured in joules or newton-meters.

2. How is the work done by rocket motors calculated?

The work done by rocket motors can be calculated by multiplying the force generated by the rocket engines by the distance the rocket travels. This can be expressed in the formula W = F x d, where W is work, F is force, and d is distance.

3. What factors affect the work done by rocket motors?

The work done by rocket motors is affected by several factors, including the mass of the rocket, the velocity of the exhaust gases, and the duration of the rocket burn. Additionally, external factors such as air resistance and gravity also play a role in the work done by rocket motors.

4. How does the work done by rocket motors impact space travel?

The work done by rocket motors is crucial for space travel as it determines the speed and trajectory of the rocket. The greater the work done, the faster the rocket can travel and the farther it can go. This work also has a significant impact on the amount of payload a rocket can carry into space.

5. Can the work done by rocket motors be increased?

Yes, the work done by rocket motors can be increased by improving the design and efficiency of the rocket engines. This can include using more powerful or efficient fuels, reducing the weight of the rocket, and optimizing the rocket's trajectory. However, there are limitations to how much work can be done by rocket motors due to the laws of physics and the capabilities of current technology.