Probabilities of quantum states

In summary, quantum states refer to the possible configurations of a quantum system and are described by wave functions. The probability of a quantum state is determined by the square of the amplitude of the corresponding wave function, known as the Born rule. This differs from classical probabilities, which are based on the frequency of events. In quantum mechanics, probabilities are non-deterministic and allow for superposition of states. In quantum computing, probabilities of quantum states are used in qubits to increase the speed and efficiency of calculations. These probabilities cannot be directly measured due to the uncertainty principle.
jaobyccdee
In measuring the x component of angular momentum of a state, by using the expectation value calculation of Lx, i got i/3 h bar - i/3 h bar, does this means that the probability of h bar is i/3 and the probability of 0 h bar is 0 and the probability of -h bar is i/3? If so, when is the probability of 0 h bar not 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, expectation values tell you nothing about the individual probabilities. Also, probabilities are real numbers between 0 and 1. It makes absolutely no sense to talk of a probability of i/3.

1. What are quantum states?

Quantum states refer to the possible configurations or states that a quantum system can exist in. These states are described by wave functions, which contain information about the probability of the system being in a particular state.

2. How is the probability of a quantum state determined?

The probability of a quantum state is determined by the square of the amplitude of the corresponding wave function. This is known as the Born rule and is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

3. How do probabilities of quantum states differ from classical probabilities?

In classical mechanics, probabilities are determined by the frequency of events occurring. In quantum mechanics, probabilities are determined by the wave function, which represents the likelihood of finding a particle in a particular state. This means that quantum probabilities can be non-deterministic and allow for superposition of states.

4. How are probabilities of quantum states used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, probabilities of quantum states are used to represent information in quantum bits, or qubits. The superposition of qubits allows for multiple calculations to be performed simultaneously, increasing the speed and efficiency of computing.

5. Can probabilities of quantum states be measured directly?

No, probabilities of quantum states cannot be directly measured. Instead, they are inferred through measurements of the system, such as the position or momentum of a particle. This is due to the uncertainty principle, which states that the act of measurement can alter the state of the system.