Recangular Prism: Moment Of Inertia

In summary, the conversation discusses a rectangular prism with dimensions of 72 x 36 x 8 and its center of mass located 31 inches from one end lengthwise and centered heightwise and widthwise. The conversation also mentions the need for the moment of inertia of the object for a hovercraft, specifically in the length/width plane. The person also asks for help in calculating the turning radius based on the forces applied and the given information. They also mention the object's offset center of mass and its non-homogeneous material. Finally, they mention finding equations in a textbook to help with the calculations.
pyrexyn
There is a rectangular prism (L x W x H) = (72 x 36 x 8). The center of mass is 31 inches from one end lengthwise, and centered heightwise and widthwise.

I drew an image: http://www.xdemi.com/hovcalc/delirium.bmp

Basically, we need the moment of inertia of this object. Two forces are going to be applied at the top-back of the box-frame, and we want to calculate the turning radius. (This is for a hovercraft). We dont' really care about the height-direction. We just need turning radius in the length/width plane. So I suppose we can forget about the height factor.

What is the moment of inertia if the center of mass is offset lengthwise?

Actually, if you know how to calculate the radius or whatever just by knowing the forces and the information I gave you, then that'd be great. Because we could care less about the moment of inertia if we could find the radius of turning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why is the CG offset on a symetric object? It is hard to tell from your diagram. Is it because it is not homogeneous material? Is the frame made of different members or is it one whole piece?

I am not familiar with any calculations regarding turning radius specifically. However, we can answer the moment of inertia problem.

It is not a evenly distributed weight, and not homogneous. However, we found some equations in a textbook that helped us. Thank you anyway.

1. What is a rectangular prism?

A rectangular prism is a three-dimensional shape with six rectangular faces. It is also known as a rectangular cuboid or rectangular parallelepiped.

2. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a property of an object that describes its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by summing the products of the mass of each particle in an object and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How do you calculate moment of inertia for a rectangular prism?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia for a rectangular prism is I= (1/12) * m * (h^2 + w^2), where m is the mass of the prism and h and w are the height and width of the prism, respectively.

4. What is the significance of moment of inertia for a rectangular prism?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand how an object will behave when subjected to rotational forces. Objects with higher moment of inertia require more force to change their rotational motion, while objects with lower moment of inertia are easier to rotate.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a rectangular prism change when its dimensions are altered?

If the dimensions of a rectangular prism are altered, its moment of inertia will also change. Specifically, increasing the dimensions will increase the moment of inertia, while decreasing the dimensions will decrease the moment of inertia.