Where Do I Start with a Microcontroller Project?

In summary, the conversation is about someone in need of a microcontroller and asking for suggestions on where to start and the initial cost. Some suggested learning about microcontrollers in general and searching for tutorials on specific types of microcontrollers. Others recommended buying an Arduino or an Atmel AVR as they have free development software and are beginner-friendly.
hobbs125
Hello all,

I am in need of a microcontroller. The only problem is that I do not know where to start as I have never used or programmed a microcontroller before.

I need the circuit to perform the following functions:

-Drive a coil
-Scan through a range of frequencies
-Be able to adjust duty cycle
-Be able to gate the frequency on and off
-Find the point of impedance match between the coil and load via a feedback coil and lock onto that frequency
-Display the frequency

Does anyone have any suggestions of an easy place to start and an initial cost?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Seems like you need to learn about micro-controllers in general.
Start by searching for "PIC microcontroller tutorials" or "AVR microcontroller tutorials".
Some of your problems would be trivial once you learn microcontrollers.

For first timers I always recommend and Arduino. The development software is free and you can have a working project that actually does something in less than 10 minutes. If you want to get into something more advanced, I recommend the Atmel avr suite of microcontrollers since the development software is free.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. A friend of mine also recommended buying an Atmel AVR so I guess that is the direction I will be going.

1. What is a microcontroller?

A microcontroller is a small computer on a single integrated circuit that is commonly used to control various electronic devices. It contains a CPU, memory, and input/output ports, making it a self-contained system that can be programmed to perform specific tasks.

2. What are some common uses for microcontrollers?

Microcontrollers are used in a wide range of applications, including robotics, home automation, medical devices, and consumer electronics. They are also commonly used in industrial and commercial settings for controlling machinery and equipment.

3. How do I choose the right microcontroller for my project?

The right microcontroller for your project will depend on the specific requirements and needs of your project. Some important factors to consider include the processing power, memory, input/output capabilities, and cost. It is also important to choose a microcontroller that is well-supported and has a large community for troubleshooting and support.

4. What programming languages can I use to program a microcontroller?

There are a variety of programming languages that can be used to program microcontrollers, including C, C++, Java, and Python. The choice of language will depend on the specific microcontroller and the preferences of the programmer.

5. Can I use a microcontroller with other electronic components?

Yes, microcontrollers can be used with a variety of other electronic components, such as sensors, motors, and displays. Many microcontrollers have built-in input/output pins that allow them to interface with other electronic devices and components.