Examples of hard multivariable calculus exams online?

In summary, the conversation discusses the teaching style of a Calc III teacher who gives take-home exams due to time constraints and the difficulty of the exams. The person is seeking resources for practice exams and mentions MIT and state colleges as potential sources. They also mention the importance of matching the style of the exams to the ones they will be taking.
gilbogarbage
My Calc III teacher this fall gives take home exams because he insists that there isn't enough time to cover all the material in Calc III, so he needs every class hour to teach, thus he gives take-home tests. Knowing people who took his calc III class last fall, and him curving an A to be 70%, I know his exams are hard. He wouldn't give me any examples, and someone said the exams were "PhD worthy, so hard you didn't even know how to start them".

I've been trying to prepare myself for the class this fall by searching for take-home Calc III exams that universities around the world have posted online. So far not good. I was wondering if anyone knows any decent colleges who have posted hard exams? I guess this includes vector calculus too?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out some of the MIT questions. How long is your typical exam? If the amount of time is long, then anything is "fair game". If the length of the exam is maybe an hour, then try to limit what he stresses the most in class.

The big universities (Stanford, MIT, Harvard) have some variation on Open Courseware, which includes all of the class's resources including tests. Also, your state colleges will most likely post past exams up on their website (I know Purdue and IU do). Find out from past students the exams style: computational or proof-based (I've found that Calc III proof tests were ridiculously hard with Stanford). The tests you search for online should match the style of tests that you want to prepare for.

1. What is multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of several variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus, such as derivatives and integrals, to functions with multiple variables.

2. Why are multivariable calculus exams challenging?

Multivariable calculus exams often require students to think abstractly and apply complex concepts from different areas of mathematics. They also involve solving problems in three-dimensional space, which can be more difficult than working in two dimensions.

3. What are some common topics covered in hard multivariable calculus exams?

Some common topics covered in hard multivariable calculus exams include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and applications of multivariable calculus in physics and engineering.

4. Are there any online resources for practicing hard multivariable calculus exams?

Yes, there are many online resources available for practicing hard multivariable calculus exams. Some popular ones include websites such as Khan Academy, Paul's Online Math Notes, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

5. How can I prepare for a hard multivariable calculus exam?

To prepare for a hard multivariable calculus exam, it is important to review and understand key concepts, practice solving problems from different sources, and seek help from a tutor or study group if needed. It is also important to manage your time effectively and get enough rest before the exam.