What is a .djvu File and How to Open it?

• Thread starter dextercioby
  • Start date
  • Tags
    File
In summary, a user named Daniel is asking for help understanding the .djvu file extension and how to open the documents. Another user provides a link with information on .djvu files and mentions that it is a good document compression format. Daniel expresses frustration after accidentally deleting the documents from their hard drive.
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
I've found some valuable documents (mostly books) which are in electronic format,however with a (to me) unknown extension:
[tex] .djvu [/tex]

Can someone knowledgeable please tell me what those letters mean and how (meaning) what software need i use to open the documents...??

Thanking you in advance... o:)

Daniel.

Computer science news on Phys.org
djvu is a very good document compression format (much better than pdf).

You can get viewers from here or here or here

Thank you... o:) Now i feel like an idiot,because i erased the documents from the HDD and i got to dld them again... :grumpy:

Daniel.

1. What is a .djvu file?

A .djvu file is a type of digital document file that contains compressed images, text, and other multimedia elements. It is commonly used for storing scanned documents, such as books and magazines, as well as digital images.

2. How is a .djvu file different from other document files?

A .djvu file is different from other document files, such as PDF or Word documents, because it uses a different compression method that results in smaller file sizes without compromising on image quality. This makes it a popular choice for storing and sharing large documents.

3. How do I open a .djvu file?

To open a .djvu file, you will need a specialized software program, such as DjVuLibre or WinDjView, which are both available for free online. Once the software is installed, you can simply double-click on the .djvu file to open it.

4. Can I convert a .djvu file to another format?

Yes, there are several online tools and software programs that allow you to convert a .djvu file to other formats, such as PDF or JPEG. However, keep in mind that this may result in a loss of image quality as the file is being converted.

5. Are there any potential security risks associated with .djvu files?

As with any digital document, there is always a potential risk of malware or viruses being embedded in a .djvu file. It is important to only download .djvu files from trusted sources and to have anti-virus software installed on your device to protect against any potential threats.