Coil winding direction on opposite legs?

In summary, the conversation discusses winding a transformer with a square core and coils on opposite legs. The main concern is ensuring the polarity of each coil is the same. The direction and starting point of the windings are also in question. The expert provides a diagram from Wikipedia showing that one coil should be wound clockwise while the other should be wound counterclockwise. It is also mentioned that for multi-layered coils, the start and end points do not matter as long as the winding direction is correct. Lastly, it is confirmed that the windings should be in opposite directions relative to the flux around the coil.
hobbs125
I am winding a transformer. I want to get it done right the first time.

The transformer has a square core with a coils on opposite legs.

I want the polarity to be the same on each coil so how do I wind them?
Should the start of the windings be at the top of each coil?
Should the direction of the wind be the same for each one?

Or since the coils are on opposite legs should each coil be wound in a opposite direction and start at opposite ends?

Attachments

• Winding direction.png
    Winding direction.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,114
Engineering news on Phys.org
Here is a good diagram:

350px-Transformer3d_col3.svg.png

This is from the Wikipedia article about transformers.

Ok,

That drawing shows one coil is wound CCW while the other is wound CW, that answers one of my questions.
What about the coils if they are multi layered, where should the start and end of each coil be?

It doesn't matter as long as the direction of the winding is as shown. The polarity of the ends of the windings will be as shown.

Yes, the windings are in opposite directions relative to the flux around the coil.

vk6kro,

Thanks for the help and info. You have helped me a great deal on this site and I really appreciate it;)

1. What is the purpose of coil winding direction on opposite legs?

The purpose of coil winding direction on opposite legs is to create a magnetic field that is stronger and more uniform than a coil wound in the same direction. This is because the current in one coil creates a magnetic field in the opposite direction of the current in the other coil, resulting in a more balanced and efficient magnetic field.

2. How does the direction of coil winding affect the performance of a transformer or motor?

The direction of coil winding affects the performance of a transformer or motor by determining the direction of the resulting magnetic field. If the direction of the winding is the same on both legs, the magnetic field will be weaker and less efficient. However, if the winding direction is opposite, the magnetic field will be stronger and more balanced, resulting in better performance.

3. Are there any specific rules or guidelines for coil winding direction on opposite legs?

Yes, there are specific rules and guidelines for coil winding direction on opposite legs. These include winding the coils in opposite directions, keeping the number of turns on each leg equal, and ensuring that the coils are in phase with each other. These guidelines help to ensure a balanced and efficient magnetic field.

4. Is the coil winding direction on opposite legs the same for all types of transformers and motors?

Yes, the coil winding direction on opposite legs is generally the same for all types of transformers and motors. This is because the principles of creating a strong and balanced magnetic field apply to all of these devices. However, some specialized transformers or motors may have different winding configurations.

5. How do I determine the correct coil winding direction for a specific application?

The correct coil winding direction for a specific application can be determined by consulting the manufacturer's instructions or specifications for the transformer or motor. In general, the winding direction should be opposite for optimal performance, but it is important to follow the guidelines provided by the manufacturer for the specific device.