Preparing for General Topology

In summary, topology is a class that generalizes concepts in analysis like convergence and continuity. It is recommended to have a background in analysis before taking this course, but it is not necessary. Complex variables can be a good precursor to topology, as they lead to similar concepts. The complex variables class covers numbers, analytic functions, Cauchy-Riemann conditions, elementary functions, complex integration, Cauchy's theorem and integral formula, power series, residues, and applications. A good textbook for this class is "FUND. OF COMPLEX ANAL. F/MATH, SCI.+ENGR." by SAFF.
Hercuflea
Hey everybody,

I just wanted to ask a general question about Topology. I am planning on taking a General Topology course in Spring 2013 and first of all I don't know what it is. I am finishing up Differential Equations 1 right now with an A. By the spring I will have taken linear algebra 2 and complex variables. I have already finished Calculus 1-3 and linear algebra 1, all with high A's. Unfortunately I have not and probably will not take a geometry class by this spring. The catalog simply says that linear algebra 1 is sufficient but I have my doubts.

What is topology? What do I need to study and know before I take the course?

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a background in analysis, the motivation for a lot of the concepts will be lost, but you shouldn't find it overly difficult provided you're proficient in proof writing.

Topology generalizes a number of concepts in analysis like convergence and continuity of sequences and functions. You've already encountered these concepts in calculus, but only in the context of the reals, which possesses a number of unnecessarily restrictive qualities (like the notion of "distance", which topology dispenses with).

Like Number Nine says, without analysis, some of the stuff might seem odd since it is generalisations of real stuff. However, in my Complex class, we did lots of stuff with open sets and what not, so if you do this as well, you might get most of the motivations.

Topology is a very interesting class. It will be the most abstract class you have taken, and this will make it tough. But it is well worth it. I didn't take it as an undergrad, but I have spent this summer working through a book. You'll have fun if you like abstract math.

Would changing my complex variables class this fall for a real analysis class better prepare me for topology?

Hercuflea said:
Would changing my complex variables class this fall for a real analysis class better prepare me for topology?

Complex variables can actually be a very good precursor to topology. Many things in complex variables lead naturally to concepts in topology.

Can you tell us what the complex variables class covers?? What book does it use?

FUND.OF COMPLEX ANAL.F/MATH,SCI.+ENGR.
Author SAFF
Edition 3RD 03
ISBN 9780139078743

MATH 4391 - Complex Variables
3 Class Hours 0 Laboratory Hours 3 Credit Hours
Prerequisite: A grade of “C” or better in MATH 2203 (Calculus 3).

The study of complex variables is a central subject in mathematics, important for students in mathematics, engineering and physical sciences (due to so many applications to fluid mechanics, heat conduction, and electromagnetic theory). Complex variables are a very powerful tool for solving problems that are either difficult or virtually impossible to solve in any other way. Topics covered in MATH 4391 provide an introduction to the subject, including basics from complex function theory: numbers, analytic functions, Cauchy-Riemann conditions, elementary functions, complex integration, Cauchy’s theorem and integral formula, power series, residues and applications.

1. What is General Topology?

General Topology is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties and structures of topological spaces, which are mathematical objects that generalize the idea of distance and continuity. It is concerned with the concepts of neighborhoods, open and closed sets, and continuous functions.

2. Why is it important to study General Topology?

General Topology is a fundamental area of mathematics that has applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, and engineering. It provides a framework for understanding the properties of spaces and their underlying structures, which are essential for solving real-world problems.

3. How can one prepare for studying General Topology?

To prepare for studying General Topology, one should have a strong background in mathematical analysis, including topics such as real analysis, set theory, and linear algebra. It is also helpful to have a basic understanding of abstract algebra and mathematical logic.

4. What are some common topics covered in General Topology courses?

Some common topics covered in General Topology courses include topological spaces, continuous functions, compactness, connectedness, and separation axioms. Other topics may include homotopy theory, algebraic topology, and the classification of surfaces.

5. What are some recommended resources for learning General Topology?

There are many excellent textbooks and online resources available for learning General Topology. Some popular books include "Topology" by James Munkres, "Introduction to Topology" by Bert Mendelson, and "General Topology" by Stephen Willard. Online resources such as video lectures and interactive tutorials are also helpful for self-study.