Is this enough background to begin QM\GR?

• Thread starter cpsinkule
  • Start date
In summary, the person has independently studied Electrodynamics, Lagrangian\Hamiltonian formalism of Dynamics, special relativity, and mathematics for QM and GR. They skipped certain sections to save time but are worried if they have enough background to understand QM and GR from a theoretical point of view. Suggestions from others include using certain textbooks and starting with linear algebra and series solutions to differential equations before moving on to more advanced texts.
cpsinkule
I have recently independently studied my way through Electrodynamics (Schwartz, Griffiths, and Shadowitz), Lagrangian\Hamiltonian formalism of Dynamics, about two books on special relativity, and a few books entailing mathematics for QM and GR. I did, however, skip through most of the parts on electromagnetic fields in matter and solving the laplace\poisson equations (I completely skipped bessel functions, harmonic functions, and legendre polynomials for brevity) to save time. My question is as follows: Is this background sufficient to move into QM and GR? I am wholly interested in the theoretical points of the theorems and not so much on the application (which is another reason I skipped the sections I did). I want to be able to understand QM and GR from a theoretical point of view and I am worried I have skipped too much to have a satisfactory understanding to move on to these subjects. Any suggestions would help.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea that's enough.

The more important thing to worry about IMHO is the textbook. I like Wald for GR and in your case since your are interested in the theory Hughs - The Structure And Interpretation Of QM prior to Ballentine - QM A Modern Development.

Ballentine develops QM from two axioms and relegates, correctly, the Schodenger Equation etc to its true basis - a derivation from Galilean invariance.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks Bill! I'm really excited to extend my knowledge to these fields and ready to start!

cps...
I agree..you are 'good' to go'..have fun.

Yep, you are good to go, and you'll see how wise your decision was not to learn about Bessel functions, spherical harmonics, etc. within classical physics. It's much more natural to get these issues covered within quantum theory, where you'll learn that all these functions are representations of orthonormal complete bases of the Hilbert space [itex]\mathrm{L}^2[/itex] of square-integrable functions. Have fun!

If you're just beginning to study these subject then I recommend, as always, "a Modern Approach to Quantum Mechanics" by Townsend and "Gravity: An Introduction to Einstein's General Theory of Relativity" by Hartle. For the QM, you need linear algebra and series solutions to diff eqs. For GR, diff geo would be great but not really needed for Hartle since he develops what you need to know.
I think after working through these books, you'll be comfortable to move onto graduate/advanced texts like Sakurai and Wald. Also, I would advise against picking up Griffiths for QM. It's not very formal and works mostly in position space, not developing the full dirac notation and therefore missing some great insights. Since you said you're more of a theory guy, then Townsend would be great.

1. Is a background in physics necessary to begin studying quantum mechanics and general relativity?

Yes, a strong foundation in physics is necessary to understand the principles and concepts of quantum mechanics and general relativity. These fields involve advanced mathematical concepts and require a deep understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics.

2. Can one study quantum mechanics and general relativity simultaneously?

While it is possible to study both fields at the same time, it is recommended to have a solid grasp on quantum mechanics before delving into general relativity. Understanding the principles of quantum mechanics is crucial for understanding the basis of general relativity.

3. How much of a background in mathematics is needed to study quantum mechanics and general relativity?

A strong foundation in mathematics is essential for studying quantum mechanics and general relativity. These fields involve advanced concepts in calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and group theory. A strong understanding of these mathematical concepts is necessary to fully comprehend the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in computer science to study quantum mechanics and general relativity?

No, a background in computer science is not necessary to study quantum mechanics and general relativity. However, having some knowledge of programming and computer simulations can be beneficial for visualizing and analyzing complex systems in these fields.

5. Can one study quantum mechanics and general relativity without a formal education in these fields?

While it is possible to self-study quantum mechanics and general relativity, having a formal education in these fields is highly recommended. These fields involve complex mathematical concepts and require a deep understanding of physics principles. A formal education can provide the necessary guidance and resources for a thorough understanding of these fields.