How can I find reliable sources of information on the LHC and its experiments?

In summary, the conversation is about a student's project on particle physics and their struggle to find reliable resources for their topic, which includes the Higgs boson, antimatter, dark matter, additional dimensions, and quark-gluon plasma. They have received advice to look for lecture notes, blogs, and news articles from the LHCb experiment. They are also interested in finding information on CP violation and charm mixing.
MojoMcGunner
I'm sorry that this is probably in the wrong place, but I couldn't find a place to post where I am allowed to start threads which was relevant.

I'm hopefully starting a degree in particle physics next year, I'm currently in my last year of high school. Myself and one other student at my school are doing a physics EPQ, which is a qualification which will help me to get into universities, basically you choose a topic related to the degree to which you are applying, then write a 5,000 word essay and do a presentation to very highly qualified people on it, to be judged by the standards of a first or second year degree undergrad.

Basically, I'm having real trouble finding reliable resources. My topic is what has been discovered by the LHC, so I'm doing 5 sections on the Higg's boson, antimatter, dark matter, additional dimensions and quark-gluon plasma. I have some basic info from the CERN website about the different detectors, but not as detailed as I'll probably need. I will have to explain the physics of the matter (hehe, no pun intended), how it was detected/deduced using the LHC and that knowledge means.

My problem is that I know the basics of those areas, so "introduction to" articles/sites aren't helpful, but I don't have the level of education to understand the fully professional ones designed to be read by people who have PhDs.

I can't work out how to use google scholar effectively and I can't afford to buy the pdf files. Can anyone please help me out a lot and recommend some sites/resources which I could use to build a good, detailed understanding of these topics, but which don't assume you already have a degree?

Or just give me general advice on how to find what I'm looking for would be even better. Give a man a fish and all that... is there a good way to locate reliable sources of information at the level I want?

Thankyou very much, this will be very helpful if someone is good enough to help me with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've not looked at the Cern website for awhile but have you tried there?

Look for lecture notes of courses like "LHC Physics", "Particle detectors" or something similar.

For specific topics, there are some blogs where the explanations do not require too much knowledge.

Concerning your topics:
- Peter Higgs already has the s in his name, it is not "Higg's". The Higgs boson is a nice topic.
- Antimatter was not discovered at the LHC, and CP violation ("difference between matter and antimatter") might be a bit tricky in this context. Explain that antimatter is common there, but I would not go into details there. In fact, physicists rarely care about "this is matter" and "this is antimatter", because the definition is pointless for many particles anyway. If you want to keep this topic, look for some LHCb results.
- dark matter was not discovered at the LHC. I would call this "search for supersymmetric [or other new] particles"
- additional dimensions... well, why not. Again, was not discovered.
- Quark-gluon plasma: Not new, but ALICE is a nice detector to observe it.

mfb said:
Look for lecture notes of courses like "LHC Physics", "Particle detectors" or something similar.

For specific topics, there are some blogs where the explanations do not require too much knowledge.

Concerning your topics:
- Peter Higgs already has the s in his name, it is not "Higg's". The Higgs boson is a nice topic.
- Antimatter was not discovered at the LHC, and CP violation ("difference between matter and antimatter") might be a bit tricky in this context. Explain that antimatter is common there, but I would not go into details there. In fact, physicists rarely care about "this is matter" and "this is antimatter", because the definition is pointless for many particles anyway. If you want to keep this topic, look for some LHCb results.
- dark matter was not discovered at the LHC. I would call this "search for supersymmetric [or other new] particles"
- additional dimensions... well, why not. Again, was not discovered.
- Quark-gluon plasma: Not new, but ALICE is a nice detector to observe it.

Sorry for the Higgs typo. The reason I wanted to do matter/antimatter is because then I can do a whole things about the LHCb. I basically chose the topics based on the CERN website and the websites for the individual detectors. I don't think it really matters that the LHC didn't discover them, as long as it has some relevant and interesting results concerning them, I could just do it in terms of how it's advanced the areas.

The CERN website has some good information about the detectors but I need to get some reliable info about the actual experiments and results. I'll probably need to get some physics journals, but I don't know how get hold of them, or how to find what I need. Gah.

Ok, let's see about CP violation:

The decay [itex]B^- \to D^0(\to K^+ K^-)K^-[/itex] is more frequent than the decay [itex]B^+ \to \overline{D}^0(\to K^- K^+)K^+[/itex] (just the antiparticles everywhere). The brackets denote the decay of the D0 into two kaons.
The difference is so large that you can see it by eye in the graphs: Talk, slide 8, upper plots. The x-axis is the reconstructed B meson mass, the y-axis the count for each reconstructed mass bin. The left red peak is higher than the right one.
Slide 9 and 10 show the same, but with different D0 decay channels.

The LHCb news have this really annoying feature that you cannot link individual news articles, but at least there is an anchor you can find in the page source...
See the link for another example of CP violation.

And LHCb has this 3.5 standard deviations deviation from an old theory prediction for charm mixing. http://lhcb.web.cern.ch/lhcb/lhcb_page/physics_results/recent_lhcb_results/Search_for_CP_violation_in_charm.html has a lot of useful links.You can search the Cern courier for some interesting news.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best way to find reliable sources of information on the LHC and its experiments?

The best way to find reliable sources of information on the LHC and its experiments is to start by looking at official websites and publications from organizations like CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) and the ATLAS (A Toroidal LHC Apparatus) collaboration. These sources will provide accurate and up-to-date information on the LHC and its experiments.

2. Can I trust information from news articles or social media about the LHC?

While news articles and social media can be a good starting point for learning about the LHC and its experiments, it is important to fact check and verify the information from these sources. Often, news articles and social media posts can be sensationalized or contain incorrect information, so it is best to cross-reference with official sources.

3. Are there any scientific journals or publications that have reliable information on the LHC?

Yes, there are several scientific journals and publications that regularly publish research on the LHC and its experiments. Some examples include the Journal of High Energy Physics, Physics Letters B, and Physical Review D. These publications undergo a rigorous peer-review process to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the information they publish.

4. How can I tell if a source is reliable or not?

One way to determine the reliability of a source is to look at its author or the organization responsible for publishing it. If the author is a reputable scientist or the organization is a well-known research institution, the source is likely to be reliable. Additionally, you can also check for citations and references within the source to see if it is based on credible information.

5. Are there any online databases or resources specifically for information on the LHC and its experiments?

Yes, there are several online databases and resources that provide reliable information on the LHC and its experiments. Some examples include the CERN Document Server, INSPIRE-HEP, and arXiv. These databases contain research papers, articles, and other publications related to the LHC and its experiments, and are trusted sources for information in the scientific community.