Visualizing Real Images and Multiple Reflections: Questions Answered

In summary, the person sees an image of themselves in space that is the same as their real-world location.
0dontpanic0
Hi,

I realize that this might be kind of a silly question, but I am in a physics class currently and I'm having the hardest time visualizing what exactly is happening when a 'real image' is formed on the same side as the object (as in the case of an object emitting light on the concave side of a curved mirror). What is a person viewing from the object's vantage point seeing in this case? (Are they seeing a projection of the image on their side of the mirror? Or just a point of light?)

I also had a question regarding multiple reflections using two mirrors; namely, if two mirrors are placed at some angle smaller than 90 degrees along one axis to one another, a person standing in between the two planar mirrors would be able to see more than one reflection of him/herself, correct?

If this is true:

1) How can one determine the number of images based on the angle?

2) How would this change if the two mirrors were convex or concave? How would it change if another mirror were placed behind the person (enclosing them within an equilateral triangle)?

Thank you in advance for any help! I would very much appreciate hearing back from anyone on this matter. :)

Science news on Phys.org

Welcome to PF;
It is difficult to see when you only have the little mirrors commonly used in class. Basically, the real image just looks like the object is actually sitting there. When you see it with a very big mirror the illusion is startling: if you are the object, what you see is yourself hanging upside down in space in front of you. You can even reach out and "touch" the image of yourself (since there is nothing there, your hand passes through the image ...)

Normally the "image" is in the same place as the "object" - that is how your visual system locates objects. It is only when we mess about with mirrors and bits of glass that the distinction becomes important.

What happens with multiple mirrors is that you see the reflection of one mirror in another one ... the image from one mirror acts as an object for the other one. You can work out the rules experimentally or with ray diagrams. Since this is a common exercize for beginning students I won't spoil it for you now ;)

1. What is the purpose of visualizing real images and multiple reflections?

The purpose of visualizing real images and multiple reflections is to gain a better understanding of how light behaves when it interacts with different objects and surfaces. This can help us study and predict the formation of images in various optical systems, such as mirrors and lenses.

2. How do real images differ from virtual images?

Real images are formed when light rays actually converge at a point, allowing the image to be projected onto a screen. Virtual images, on the other hand, are formed when light rays appear to converge at a point, but do not actually do so. This means that they cannot be projected onto a screen.

3. Can multiple reflections occur in non-reflective surfaces?

Yes, multiple reflections can occur in non-reflective surfaces, such as glass or water. This is because these surfaces have a reflective index that causes light to bend as it passes through, creating multiple reflections within the material itself.

4. How does the angle of incidence affect the number of reflections?

The angle of incidence, or the angle at which light rays strike a reflective surface, determines the number of reflections that occur. As the angle of incidence increases, so does the number of reflections. This is because the light rays are more likely to bounce off the surface at an angle rather than passing straight through.

5. Can visualizing real images and multiple reflections be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, understanding the principles of visualizing real images and multiple reflections is important in various real-world applications. This includes designing and optimizing optical systems, such as telescopes and microscopes, and understanding the behavior of light in everyday objects, such as mirrors and windows.