Question about displacement current and ampere's law

In summary: IEEEEE!In summary, the current is charging the capacitor at a rate of I = e(flux/dt) = e(EA/t). The electric field between the plates is increasing at a rate of dE/dt = I/Cd_{sep}. The magnitude of the magnetic field between the plates is B = 5.00 cm\rho.
andrew410
A 0.230-A current is charging a capacitor that has circular plates 10.0 cm in radius.

(a) If the plate separation is 4.00 mm, what is the time rate of increase of electric field between the plates?

(b) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field between the plates 5.00 cm from the center?

So...
I know the formula for displacement current, which is I = e(flux/dt) = e(EA/t).
I'm not sure how to get the electric field from the given information.
I need some help for this. Thx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
andrew410 said:
A 0.230-A current is charging a capacitor that has circular plates 10.0 cm in radius.

(a) If the plate separation is 4.00 mm, what is the time rate of increase of electric field between the plates?

(b) What is the magnitude of the magnetic field between the plates 5.00 cm from the center?

So...

Use the following facts:
E = V/L, (E = electric field, V = voltage, L = separation)
Q = CV -> dQ/dt = C * dV/dt -> I = C * dV/dt,
C = εA/d (provable using Gauss' Law)

andrew410 said:

So...
a) Find the capacitance using [itex]C = A\epsilon_0/d_{sep}[/itex] (the permittivity of air is virtually the same as empty space). Then use [itex]V = Ed_{sep} = Q/C [/itex] and dQ/dt = I to get [itex]dE/dt = I/Cd_{sep}[/itex] to get the rate of change of electric field.

b) I don't know about the magnetic field. Are you sure it is not asking for the electric field? While there is a current with a particular directon leading to the plates, we don't know the direction(s) of the current(s) in the plates themselves.

AM

1. What is displacement current?

Displacement current is a term used in electromagnetism to describe a quantity of electric current that is produced by a changing electric field. It is an important concept in Maxwell's equations and is closely related to the phenomenon of electromagnetic induction.

2. How is displacement current related to ampere's law?

In Ampere's law, displacement current is included as a term in the equation to account for the changing electric field that is present in a region of space. This allows for a more complete understanding of the behavior of electric currents and electromagnetic fields.

3. Can displacement current be measured directly?

No, displacement current cannot be measured directly as it is a theoretical concept. However, its effects can be observed and measured through various experiments and calculations.

4. What is the role of displacement current in electromagnetic waves?

Displacement current is a key factor in the generation of electromagnetic waves. It is responsible for producing the changing electric and magnetic fields that propagate through space as electromagnetic waves.

5. How does displacement current differ from conduction current?

Displacement current and conduction current are two different types of electric current. Displacement current is produced by a changing electric field, while conduction current is produced by the movement of charged particles. Additionally, displacement current does not involve the flow of any physical particles, whereas conduction current does.