Inner Automorphism: Clarifying Notation Confusion

• Thread starter Gale
  • Start date
In summary, inner automorphisms involve a fixed element g in a group G, and the notation may vary depending on the specific proof being done. G is not a set of permutations, but each inner automorphism f_g is a permutation on G.
Gale
I'm working some homework where we're introduced to inner automorphisms. I have that G is a group. Given a fixed g in G, and fg:G → G, fg(x)= gxg-1.

I'm just a little confused about the notation. Are both g and x in G? I've been reading through the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_automorphism and that seems to be the case, however when I'm working on proofs I wasn't sure which variable I was supposed to be working with.

For instance, if I'm proving surjectivity, (or injectivity or bijectivity) I would want to show f(x1)=f(x2), however I would assume g stays fixed, correct? But when I'm proving f has an inverse, I would prove that (fg)-1=fg-1, which is using a different fixed g in G? Similarly, The wiki says that when G is abelian, the inner automorphism contains only the identity, but if I wanted to prove that, would I work with two different g's or two different x's?

I have a vague idea of how this relates to permutations, but it's not sinking in and my hang ups about the notation is preventing me from understanding a lot of what I'm reading. f is a permutation function? Or is G a set of permutations? Actually, now I'm confusing myself even worse. Could someone clarify for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gale said:
I'm working some homework where we're introduced to inner automorphisms. I have that G is a group. Given a fixed g in G, and fg:G → G, fg(x)= gxg-1.

I'm just a little confused about the notation. Are both g and x in G?

Yes.

I've been reading through the wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inner_automorphism and that seems to be the case, however when I'm working on proofs I wasn't sure which variable I was supposed to be working with.

For instance, if I'm proving surjectivity, (or injectivity or bijectivity) I would want to show f(x1)=f(x2), however I would assume g stays fixed, correct?

Correct. Every g induces an inner automorphism [itex]f_g[/itex]. The function [itex]f_g[/itex] is a function of x, so only x is variable.

But when I'm proving f has an inverse, I would prove that (fg)-1=fg-1, which is using a different fixed g in G?

Yes.

Similarly, The wiki says that when G is abelian, the inner automorphism contains only the identity, but if I wanted to prove that, would I work with two different g's or two different x's?

You need to prove that each function [itex]f_g[/itex] is equal to the identity.

I have a vague idea of how this relates to permutations, but it's not sinking in and my hang ups about the notation is preventing me from understanding a lot of what I'm reading. f is a permutation function? Or is G a set of permutations? Actually, now I'm confusing myself even worse. Could someone clarify for me?

A permutation of a set X is by definition a bijection [itex]g:X\rightarrow X[/itex]. Any inner automorphism [itex]f_g[/itex] is a permutation on G since it is bijective.

1. What is an inner automorphism?

An inner automorphism is a type of automorphism in abstract algebra that is defined by conjugation. It is a mapping of a group onto itself that preserves the group operation and the identity element.

2. How is an inner automorphism different from an outer automorphism?

An inner automorphism is defined by conjugation within the group, whereas an outer automorphism is defined by a mapping to a different group. Inner automorphisms are always induced by elements within the group, while outer automorphisms are not necessarily induced by elements of the group.

3. What is the notation used for inner automorphisms?

The notation used for an inner automorphism is typically "Int(g)", where g is an element of the group. This represents the conjugation of the group by the element g.

4. How do you determine the order of an inner automorphism?

The order of an inner automorphism is equal to the order of the element used for conjugation. So if g has an order of n, then Int(g) will also have an order of n.

5. Can an inner automorphism be an identity map?

Yes, an inner automorphism can be an identity map if the element used for conjugation is the identity element of the group. In this case, Int(e) = e, where e is the identity element.