I know im forgetting something simple

• Thread starter bemigh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of speed and radius of a singly-charged positive ion that passes through a potential difference and enters a region of uniform magnetic field. The question of finding the velocity without knowing the charge of the particle is also brought up. However, it is clarified that knowing the charge is necessary to calculate the electric force.
bemigh
Once again, hello...
Alright, i know I am forgetting something simple...

A singly-charged positive ion of mass 2.50 ´ 10–26 kg, initially at rest, is accelerated through a potential difference of magnitude 2.50 ´ 102 V.

(a) Calculate the speed of the ion after passing through this potential difference.

(b) The ion then enters a region of uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.500 T. The direction of the magnetic field is perpendicular to the ion’s velocity. Calculate the radius of the path of the ion in the field.

Now, i can solve this... however, I am stumped by something... How can i find the velocity of the particle after it leaves the potential difference... I would need q of the particle, allowing me to use K=qV, i know everything but q... is their another way of solving for the velocity??
Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you absolutely need q. How else could you calculate the electric force? since this is a singly charged ion, q is the basic charge e, 1.6x10^-19 C.

!

Hello again! It seems like you are on the right track with solving the problem. To find the velocity of the ion after passing through the potential difference, you can use the equation for kinetic energy: KE = 1/2 mv^2. Since the ion is initially at rest, its initial kinetic energy is zero. Therefore, the final kinetic energy will be equal to the work done by the potential difference, which is qV. So, you can set up the equation as KE = qV and solve for v. Once you have the velocity, you can then move on to part (b) and solve for the radius of the path using the equation r = mv/qB. I hope this helps and good luck with solving the problem!

1. What is "I know I'm forgetting something simple" referring to?

"I know I'm forgetting something simple" is a common phrase used to express the feeling of forgetting something important or obvious that is usually easy to remember.

2. Why do we forget simple things?

There are many reasons why we may forget simple things, including distractions, stress, fatigue, and information overload. Our brain can also prioritize certain memories over others, causing us to forget seemingly simple things.

3. How can I prevent forgetting simple things?

To prevent forgetting simple things, it is important to practice good memory techniques such as repetition, association, and organization. It can also be helpful to minimize distractions and reduce stress levels.

4. Is forgetting simple things a sign of a bigger problem?

In most cases, forgetting simple things is a normal occurrence and not a sign of a bigger problem. However, if you are consistently forgetting important information or experiencing memory lapses, it may be a good idea to consult a healthcare professional.

5. How can I improve my memory for simple things?

There are various ways to improve memory for simple things, such as getting enough sleep, eating a healthy diet, staying physically active, and engaging in brain-stimulating activities like puzzles or games. Additionally, practicing mindfulness and reducing stress can also help improve memory.