Writing tensors in a different way?

In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of the electric and magnetic fields using tensors and matrices. The main question is how to transform the calculations from matrices to bold symbols and what the notation F^{\mu \nu}F_{\mu \nu} means. The answer is that F^{\mu \nu}F_{\mu \nu} is a summation of the components of the tensor F_{\mu \nu} and F^{\mu \nu} is the dual vector of F_{\mu \nu}. The bold symbols represent the square norm of the vector components. It is also important to note that matrix multiplication is not the same as tensor multiplication and the notation F^{\mu \nu}F_{\
Physicist
Hi all,

I have 2 tensors of rank 2. I want to write their product in a way else than a matrix.

Or let's say, for example: how can I write the electic field in a form of matrix (tensor)?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What kind of a product?A simple tensor product,or a contracted tensor product...?Please,for our illumination,post the product of tensors in component form.

The electric field is a 3-vector and can be put under the form of a column:
[tex] (\vec{E})^{i}=\left ( \begin{array}{c}E^{1}\\E^{2}\\E^{3}\end{array}\right ) [/tex]

Daniel.

I have a proof to do, starting from the covariant & contravariant field tensors (which are 4 X 4 matrices) & ending with E^2 & B^2.

I couldn't know where did those bold E & B come from? I mean how to transform the calculations from dealing with matrices to the bold symbols?

I think the E represents the electric field tensor. How is it written in form of a 4 X 4 matrix? I found different forms in different sites & couldn't know which one is right.

I hope I'm clear now.

Thanks

Components of E & B are elements of the em tensor [tex] \hat{F}[/tex]...When u consider operations with theis tensor,u're making operation with the fields as well.E.g.The Lagrangian (density) of the em field is:
[tex] \mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu} [/tex]... (in Heaviside-Lorentz units)

Consider all the terms in the summation & u'll end up with something ~(E^{2}-B^{2})...

Daniel.

Consider all the terms in the summation

How??

OK I've done the following:

http://physicist.jeeran.com/untitled.JPG

I noticed some notes about the elements of the resultant matrix but still couldn't complete!

I asked about the E & B to try to get them from this matrix.

Can you help?

just a hint please, I wanted to do it myself :smile: but I'm stuck at that point since few days :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope,the double contraction MUST BE A LORENTZ SCALAR.That matrix form is highly useless.

Your calculus is included in any standard book on electrodynamics,as Jackson,maybe...
I told you what to do:consider that sum and you'll get your answer.

Daniel.

Still couldn't understand how to do as you said (consider that sum and you'll get your answer).

I've got the book of Jackson, he went through it briefly & didn't explain the mathematical steps.

Can anyone please do it step by step with explaining in details? because I'm somehow new to tensors.

I will be thankful.

Do what,step by step...?The summation...?You can't add 16 terms...?

Daniel.

OF COURSE I CAN!

But I didn't understand what do you mean? to add what?

Do you mean I have to add the 16 terms in the matrix?! What would that equals?

add the terma together, you can't add scalars to a matrix.

edited to add you need to go back to your textbook and see exactly what [itex]F^{\mu}^{\nu}F_{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] means.

Last edited:
He knows what [tex] F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu} [/tex] means.And that should equal the lagrangian density,what else...?

Daniel.

Yes, but he seems unsure what the noataion represents mathematically.

There are 16 terms in all,4 of which are 0.So the problem is even simpler.

Daniel.

Last edited:
One simpler (to me) way of looking at it is that [itex]F^{\mu}^{\nu}[/itex] are the compents of a vector in the (16 dimensional) vector space of tensors of type (2,0) and [itex]F_{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] are the compoents of it's dual vector, so [itex]F^{\mu}^{\nu}F_{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] is it's square norm.

Last edited:
If I know the answer I wouldn't ask!

I didn't want you to give me the answer directly, I really wanted to understand becuase I tried reading in many books & sites but still didn't understand it. I didn't have any course in tensors & now I need to deal with it in a research.

If it looks simple for you dextercioby, it's not for me & that's why I asked!

Thanks anyways.

jcsd, you are right (unsure what the noataion represents mathematically).

(add the terma together)

Do you mean that I should add the terms in the resultant matrix? What would the result represent?

Thank you.

What matrix are you talking about...?

Daniel.

The matrix that results from the multipication (see reply #5).

Physicist,

What dexter is trying to lead you to is the following:

[tex]
F^{ \mu \nu } F_{ \mu \nu } = \sum _ { \mu = 1} ^ {4} \sum _ { \nu = 1} ^ {4} F^{\mu \nu} F_{\mu \nu}
[/tex]

That is the Einstein summation convention. So, you let the indices [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\nu[/itex] each run from 1 to 4 in the double sum, and you should get your answer straightforwardly.

Likes Klystron
Yes it's the summation convention your missing physicist, remember that matrices are only (limited) representations of tensors,

Likes Klystron
Physicist, you're missing a couple of other things, too.

Physicist said:
I have a proof to do, starting from the covariant & contravariant field tensors (which are 4 X 4 matrices) & ending with E^2 & B^2.

I couldn't know where did those bold E & B come from? I mean how to transform the calculations from dealing with matrices to the bold symbols?

You need to know that, for any [itex]\mathbb {R} ^3[/itex] vector [itex]\mathbf {A} = A_x \mathbf {i} +A_y \mathbf {j} +A_z \mathbf {k}[/itex], we have:

[tex]\mathbf {A} ^2= \mathbf {A} \cdot \mathbf {A}= A_x^2+A_y^2+A_z^2[/tex]

The other thing you're missing is this issue of matrix multiplication. [itex]F^{\mu \nu }F_{\mu \nu }[/itex] does not mean that you are supposed to multiply the matrix representations of [itex]F[/itex] together. It means that you are supposed to sum over the indices, as I described in my last post. If you were supposed to do matrix multiplication, it would be written as follows:

[tex]
F^{\mu \nu } F_{\nu \lambda }
[/tex]

Not really,Tom.What u've written is a 4-th rank (2,2) tensor.It doesn't have matrix representation in R^{2}...

Daniel.

No Tom is correcr, but perhaps it's better to treat Matrices as (1,1) tensors, so [itex]F^{\mu}_{\alpha}F^{\alpha}_{\nu} = F^{\mu}_{\nu}[/itex] is the kind of operation that phsyicist is doing.

Thank you all..

Tom Mattson said:
The other thing you're missing is this issue of matrix multiplication. [itex]F^{\mu \nu }F_{\mu \nu }[/itex] does not mean that you are supposed to multiply the matrix representations of [itex]F[/itex] together. It means that you are supposed to sum over the indices, as I described in my last post. If you were supposed to do matrix multiplication, it would be written as follows:

[tex]
F^{\mu \nu } F_{\nu \lambda }
[/tex]

That was the missing point.

Thanks alot

What are tensors and why are they important in scientific writing?

Tensors are mathematical objects that are used to represent and manipulate multi-dimensional data in a concise and efficient way. They are important in scientific writing because they allow for the representation of complex data in a way that is easily understandable and can be used in a variety of scientific fields.

Can tensors be written in different ways?

Yes, tensors can be written in different ways depending on the notation or coordinate system being used. Common ways of writing tensors include index notation, matrix notation, and Einstein notation.

What are the advantages of writing tensors in a different way?

Writing tensors in a different way can make it easier to perform calculations and operations on them, as well as make them more intuitive and easier to understand. Different notations may also be better suited for different types of problems or applications.

Are there any guidelines for writing tensors in a different way?

Yes, there are some general guidelines that can be followed when writing tensors in a different way. These include using clear and consistent notation, avoiding ambiguity, and choosing a notation that is most appropriate for the specific problem or application.

How can one learn to write tensors in a different way?

One can learn to write tensors in a different way by studying the different notations and their corresponding rules and conventions. Practice and exposure to different types of problems and applications can also help in developing a better understanding of how to write tensors in a different way.