Does this differential equation have a closed form?

In summary: Id=3In summary, this equation has a closed form if c(t) is a constant. However, if c(t) is not a constant, then the equation has an infinite number of solutions.
euroazn
I was busy doodling and basically ended up constructing this differential equation:

p'(t)=c(t)p(t)-c(t-T)p(t-T)

Obviously I've dealt with eq's like p'(t)=c(t)p(t) but I'm getting stuck because of the second term. Does this differential equation even have a closed form? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For some c(t), it has solutions in a closed form. A general solution would be interesting, but I don't see one.

This is what's called a "delay differential equation". They are often much more difficult than regular differential equations, but depending on your choices for c(t) or other equations you want to investigate there may be some methods to deal with them analytically.

For example, if c(t) = const, you can try a solution of the form p(t) = exp(st). Plugging in this guess will give you a transcendental equation for s in terms of the Lambert-W function, giving you infinitely many possible solutions. I think that forming linear combinations of these solutions may enable you to fit any desired boundary conditions, but that's just a guess.

Last edited:
Mute said:
This is what's called a "delay differential equation". They are often much more difficult than regular differential equations, but depending on your choices for c(t) or other equations you want to investigate there may be some methods to deal with them analytically.

For example, if c(t) = const, you can try a solution of the form p(t) = exp(st). Plugging in this guess will give you a transcendental equation for s in terms of the Lambert-W function, giving you infinitely many possible solutions. I think that forming linear combinations of these solutions may enable you to fit any desired boundary conditions, but that's just a guess.
Thank you! Now that I at least know the name of this type of equation I can probably figure out the solutions given a restricted set of c(t) myself.

EDIT: Or maybe not... it seems that constants for c(t) are about as good as it gets. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=878632&userType=inst

Last edited:

I cannot provide a definitive answer without further context or information about the variables and constants involved. However, in general, a differential equation has a closed form if it can be expressed in terms of elementary functions such as polynomials, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions.

In the case of the given differential equation, it is possible that a closed form solution exists, but it may be difficult to find or express in terms of elementary functions. The presence of the second term, which includes a time delay, adds complexity to the equation and may require more advanced techniques for solving it.

I would recommend consulting with a mathematician or using numerical methods to approximate a solution, as finding a closed form solution may be challenging. Additionally, considering the specific application or context of the differential equation may also provide insights into the nature of the solution.

1. What is a closed form differential equation?

A closed form differential equation is an equation that can be solved explicitly, meaning that its solution can be written in terms of known functions or constants.

2. How do I know if a differential equation has a closed form solution?

There is no definite way to know if a differential equation has a closed form solution. It often depends on the specific form and complexity of the equation. However, some common techniques such as separation of variables and integrating factors can be used to determine if a closed form solution exists.

3. What are the advantages of having a closed form solution for a differential equation?

A closed form solution allows for a more explicit and concrete understanding of the underlying mathematical relationships, making it easier to analyze and interpret the behavior of the system. It also allows for more precise and efficient computations.

4. Can any differential equation be solved using a closed form solution?

No, not all differential equations have a closed form solution. In fact, only a small subset of differential equations have a known closed form solution. In many cases, numerical methods must be used to approximate the solution.

5. What are some examples of differential equations with closed form solutions?

Some common examples of differential equations with closed form solutions include linear differential equations, separable differential equations, and homogeneous differential equations. Some specific equations with closed form solutions include the logistic equation, the heat equation, and the wave equation.