Positive/Negative Pressure Control of Syringe using Compressed Air and Vacuum Pump

In summary, the individual is looking to set up a pressure control system in their lab using either house vacuum and compressed air or a compressed air source and vacuum pump. They want to be able to control the pressure in a reservoir within the range of -15 to +15psi by connecting the gas and vacuum sources in parallel and adjusting flow with a throttle valve. They are unsure of the specifics and are looking for a potential computer control option such as using LabView or an Arduino or Raspberry Pi implementation. They suggest searching the Arduino forums for suitable valves and open source software.
nanomoly
I would like to try and set up a pressure control system in my lab using house vacuum and compressed air. Or otherwise using a compressed air source and vacuum pump.

I want to be able to control the pressure in a reservoir (a syringe) within the range of -15 to +15psi.

I was thinking that I can do this somehow by connecting the gas source and vacuum source in parallel with the reservoir and adusting flow using throttle valve to reach desired setpoint as read by a pressure gauge.

This is far outside my area of expertise and seems like something that should be fairly easy to do. I think the general way I have suggested may work but I am not sure of the specifics and anticipate there may be a better way.

I possible I would also like to be able to have computer control, in LabView for example.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would suggest an Arduiino or Raspberry Pi implementation. You can find suitable valves complete with the elecronics necessary to connect it to the computer, and open source software too.

Search the Arduino forums.

1. What is positive and negative pressure control?

Positive and negative pressure control refers to the ability to manipulate the pressure within a syringe using compressed air and a vacuum pump. This allows for precise control over the volume of fluid being dispensed from the syringe.

2. How does compressed air and a vacuum pump control the pressure in a syringe?

Compressed air is introduced into the syringe to create positive pressure, which forces the fluid out of the syringe. On the other hand, a vacuum pump is used to create negative pressure, which draws fluid into the syringe. By adjusting the amount of compressed air and vacuum, the pressure within the syringe can be controlled.

3. What are the benefits of using positive and negative pressure control in syringe operations?

Positive and negative pressure control allows for precise and consistent dispensing of fluids from a syringe, making it ideal for tasks that require accurate volumes of fluid. It also reduces the risk of air bubbles being introduced into the fluid, which can affect the accuracy of measurements or cause contamination.

4. Can positive and negative pressure control be used in any type of syringe?

Positive and negative pressure control can be used in most types of syringes, including glass or plastic syringes. However, it is important to ensure that the syringe is compatible with the compressed air and vacuum pump being used.

5. Is it difficult to set up and use positive and negative pressure control in syringe operations?

While there may be a learning curve, setting up and using positive and negative pressure control in syringe operations is not difficult. Most systems come with user-friendly instructions and can be easily integrated into existing setups. It is important to follow safety precautions and manufacturer instructions for optimal performance and safety.