Calculating Material Thickness

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the minimum thickness needed for a PVC board to support various items without breaking. The suggested method is to use the flexural stress equation t = 0.50(P^0.5), where t is the board thickness and P is the total weight of the objects on the board. The board's self weight can be included in the calculation, and the density and flexural modulus of elasticity of uPVC should also be taken into consideration. Ultimately, it is determined that deflection may be the governing factor in this scenario.
anonME
Right now I am working on a small project. I have a board (made of PVC) that is nearly 3ft long (1ft wide) and supported on each end. Mounted to the board will be various items. To save money and weight I am looking to calculate the minimum thickness I need so that the board can support everything and remain rigid without snapping/sagging/breaking.

Unfortunately I am a little rusty from my college days in regards to how to calculate this.

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
anonME: If this is unplasticized, rigid polyvinyl chloride (uPVC), I guess you could assume the allowable flexural stress is Sfa = 18 MPa, at room temperature. Therefore, I guess you could compute the required thickness of your specified board (stress-wise) using t = 0.50(P^0.5), where t = board thickness (mm), and P = total weight, in units of Newtons (N), of objects placed on board.

You can include 60 % of the board self weight in parameter P. uPVC density is rho = 1400 kg/m^3.

I think uPVC flexural modulus of elasticity is Ef = 2800 MPa. Therefore, your board midspan deflection, in mm, would be, y = 224.0*P/(t^3), where P = total applied load (N), as defined above, and t = board thickness (mm).

Both of the above equations apply only to the specific dimensions and material given in post 1.

Using the above equations, I currently think you might find that deflection governs over stress.

Last edited:

1. How do you calculate material thickness?

Material thickness can be calculated by dividing the volume of the material by its surface area. This will give you the thickness of the material in a certain unit of measurement, such as inches or millimeters.

2. What is the formula for calculating material thickness?

The formula for calculating material thickness is thickness = volume / surface area. The volume and surface area will depend on the specific shape of the material, so be sure to use the appropriate formulas for the shape you are working with.

3. Why is it important to calculate material thickness?

Calculating material thickness is important because it ensures that the material is strong enough to support the intended load or weight. It also helps determine the appropriate amount of material needed for a project, which can save time and resources.

4. How do you account for material density when calculating thickness?

Material density should be taken into account when calculating material thickness. This can be done by multiplying the volume of the material by its density before dividing by the surface area. This will give you a more accurate measurement of the material thickness.

5. Are there any online tools available for calculating material thickness?

Yes, there are many online tools available for calculating material thickness. These tools often allow you to input the specific dimensions and properties of your material and will calculate the thickness for you. However, it is always important to double check the calculations and use your own judgment when working with materials.