Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community

• Thread starter 42Physics
  • Start date
In summary, Doctor Who fans love the show for its good special effects, happy attitude, and the ability to run forever. However, they are mystified by the show's popularity.
42Physics
Dr. Who fans, unite!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a few friends that watch it still. I must admit I haven't seen any episodes :(

I love doctor who, but I only get it after the season is over because without the right channel I'm stuck buying the DVDs. :(

I love SciFc in general but am utterly mystified by the popularity of Dr Who, which I consider to be unwatchable.

phinds said:
I love SciFc in general but am utterly mystified by the popularity of Dr Who, which I consider to be unwatchable.
Well it has decent special effects, good stories, characters you can love, and is structured in such a way that it is able to run forever if it so pleases because of the practically immortal main character. Its a SciFi and we have so little good SciFi on TV, not only that but it has a very happy attitude that is informal unlike Star Trek and shows like that. It takes technobabble and turns it into a joke, it tells the audience that it doesn't care about realism and that this can be a good thing.

The way it is designed it gives you fascinating glimpses into the life of an alien through the eyes of a human companion, and if they start becoming closer to the doctor than to humanity you can kill them off and have another companion make it all seem new again.

Sure it doesn't work for everybody, but it is magical almost when it does.

Likes James Holland and tobyr65
I love Doctor Who, I've seen all the episodes of the reboot as well as some of the old ones.

I can't wait for the 2nd half of series 7 (Its on this Saturday on BBC in the UK, not sure about anywhere else)

Its going to be interesting to see the new assistant as the 2 episodes she's been in so far have been excellent, the christmas episode was especially good, much better than the one before that was about trees or something.

Likes James Holland
trollcast said:
that was about trees or something.

I believe that was meant to be a Narnia episode.

So, what are your favorite personality of the doctor and favorite companion?
Mine is Tennant and Rose.

Likes James Holland
Rolen said:
Tennant and Amy most likely. Matt Smith is awesome too, and for companions I liked Donna, Martha, and I already like Clara.

Likes James Holland
Rolen said:
Mine is Tennant and Rose.
Favorite doctor: Matt, favorite companion: Rose -- especially in her Secret Diary episodes... :eek:... but I didn't see a legitimate doctor there. :biggrin:

Worst companion: the dickhead guy who joined after the original Barbra-and-Ian left by returning to 1960's Earth in the dalek's 1st time machine.

I actually saw the original broadcasts of Dr Who, so I've seen all the now-missing episodes. :tongue:

I was really annoyed when William Hartnell got replaced by Patrick Troughton. I kept waiting for him to change back, but it never happened. Got kinda bored after Peter Davison and stopped watching.

BTW, what was the name of the actress who played the primitive companion, always running around like a female warrior out of D&D? She ended up pairing off with another timelord!?

So glad they revived it with vastly better special effects. The first new dalek episode was really excellent -- but they ruined it by having ever more millions of daleks being defeated every series (sigh).

1st episode of the latest series is on here tomorrow night. :smile:

willbell said:
Well it has decent special effects, good stories, characters you can love, and is structured in such a way that it is able to run forever if it so pleases because of the practically immortal main character. Its a SciFi and we have so little good SciFi on TV, not only that but it has a very happy attitude that is informal unlike Star Trek and shows like that. It takes technobabble and turns it into a joke, it tells the audience that it doesn't care about realism and that this can be a good thing.

The way it is designed it gives you fascinating glimpses into the life of an alien through the eyes of a human companion, and if they start becoming closer to the doctor than to humanity you can kill them off and have another companion make it all seem new again.

Sure it doesn't work for everybody, but it is magical almost when it does.
And when the Doctor starts to become more human than the companion, you can kill him off so he can be replaced by an "incarnation".

This new companion may be different. There are rumors that she will be killed in several episodes, only to return in new reincarnations.

It serves the Doctor right. For two long has he confused companions with his new incarnations. Now, it will be his turn to be confused.

I watched it some in the late '70s so Tom Baker remains my fav doctor. I think Rose is my fav companion but Amy is not far off.

I am looking forward to the next episode, ~2hrs from now.

Darwin123 said:
And when the Doctor starts to become more human than the companion, you can kill him off so he can be replaced by an "incarnation".

This new companion may be different. There are rumors that she will be killed in several episodes, only to return in new reincarnations.

It serves the Doctor right. For two long has he confused companions with his new incarnations. Now, it will be his turn to be confused.

Wait, what? The companion is a timelord like the first companion who was the granddaughter of the doctor?

Dr WHO Fan yes I would like mor of the old ones

I would like to see some of the old ones DR's 1 to 8. I also liked the show tripods on the BBC the brits have had some great sifi shows but the DR WHO has the power to stay. I hope they do remakes of the DR WHO'S and let's see the old movies of DR WHO. DR WHO fan from 1964

Rolen said:
Wait, what? The companion is a timelord like the first companion who was the granddaughter of the doctor?
No the companion is not a time lord, but she certainly has a knack for reincarnation.

I am an absolutely massive fan of DW. Apparently BBC America are showing monthly specials (well, "specials") that showcase a classic episode from each regeneration of the Doctor. I can't wait 'til they get to the 8th Doctor, because they pretty much have no choice but to show the Canadian-made reboot-attempt movie done in 1996.

ImATrackMan said:
I am an absolutely massive fan of DW. Apparently BBC America are showing monthly specials (well, "specials") that showcase a classic episode from each regeneration of the Doctor. I can't wait 'til they get to the 8th Doctor, because they pretty much have no choice but to show the Canadian-made reboot-attempt movie done in 1996.
Awesome, I've only seen one episode of the classic series.

I started watching Dr. WHO recently (started with the 2005 reboot up to yesterday's release) and I must say its a great show! However I have fell in love with the newest Dr and this last two seasons. The writers are using the true potential of a time traveler in term of complex stories and good use of paradox's. Plus some obvious question regarding holes in stories (and its physics) are nicely explain by the Dr himself.

In all and all, its a great show that has recently reached its peak, and I'm loving it!

-Rule no.1, the Dorctor lies :D

If you want you can get netflix they have 86 or so of the new ones and a load of the old ones as well. Also if anyone know how to watch tv over the net I would like to know how well that works. One thing about the DR that I love is his humans can do anything and great things if we try. It's the best parts of what we can be and hopfully we will try to be better then we are.

notinthebox said:
If you want you can get netflix they have 86 or so of the new ones and a load of the old ones as well. Also if anyone know how to watch tv over the net I would like to know how well that works. One thing about the DR that I love is his humans can do anything and great things if we try. It's the best parts of what we can be and hopfully we will try to be better then we are.

Humans doing anything is portrayed very nicely in the series, I absolutly loved the episode *THERE ARE NO REAL SPOILERS HERE, READ ON* where they travel to the end of the universe and its just humans on a planet "Utopia" and they just live there forever laughing at the thermodynamic death of the universe :D

Well sadly I am a student and in China so netflix isn't a great option. I watch it over some other websites or download the series via torrents (did I just dorp a T bomb?)

alright then I just saw the reply of someone posting a torrent link, so to watch online, I go to : http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/internet/doctor_who_(2005)/

Its a great website and I watch all my series there (basically familyguy/southpark/simpsons/how i met your mother + ofc Dr Who).

notinthebox said:
Unfortunately Netflix is out of the cards for me as well given that I am still a teenager and my parents think that imposing a 5GB limit on internet usage is a good idea in a house of four internet users. :frown:

willbell said:
Unfortunately Netflix is out of the cards for me as well given that I am still a teenager and my parents think that imposing a 5GB limit on internet usage is a good idea in a house of four internet users. :frown:

5GB a day is usually sufficient for me, but I'm the only serious internet user at home.

EDIT: Oh yes, and Dr. Who is great, saw the first two episodes today from season 6.

bigfooted said:
5GB a day is usually sufficient for me, but I'm the only serious internet user at home.

EDIT: Oh yes, and Dr. Who is great, saw the first two episodes today from season 6.
A month. :(

Dr. Who FANDOM

I am an absolute HUGE fan of The Doctor! Tom Baker, David Tennant, and Matt Smith are the best! I know all of the lore and I'm just a huge fanboy...

The show is starting to loose its way again. Its historic audience seems to be ignored now
and the stories frequently becoming more and more confused. The reliance on the same characters
all the time is also making them loose their power to entertain.
Someone needs to stand back and get a grip before it all falls appart IMHO.

Loosing it's way? I thought it was improving. You can go through a lot of styles and audiences in 50 years, so no particular era is going to satisfy everyone. But I particularly like last weeks episode.

BTW, what was the name of the actress who played the primitive companion, always running around like a female warrior out of D&D? She ended up pairing off with another timelord!?

That was Leela, played by Louise Jameson.

They are writing it into a brick wall.
There are good reasons its suurvived this long and the current trends
are destroying that. You can see it in almost every episode now.
They are like kids in a sweet shop. Or if you like -
They are doing the writing equivalent of day trading and we all know how that ends.

Algr said:
...But I particularly like last weeks episode.

My cable went out, and the livestream would freeze after thirteen minutes. I never got to finish it... :cry:

The Tom Baker episode they played Sunday was great. Wish they would do that more often. They sure have improved the inside of the TARDIS. Tom Bakers TARDIS looked like something from a high school play.

In those years they didn't have too many scenes inside the Tardis, so I guess they didn't put so much money into it.

Can anyone explain to me what exactly the heart of the TARDIS is, and what it function is? I mean, what exactly did it do to Rose?

On a vaguely related manner, what was the big bad wolf? I was confused.

They haven't really defined clearly what the heart of the Tardis is. It seems to have something to do with the Eye of Harmony. That is something brought out of the core of a black hole, and therefore operates outside the normal physical laws of the universe, and is key to Time Lord power.

Time Lord power extends beyond simple time travel. Apparently you can make physically impossible things happen by arranging it so that if the desired event doesn't happen, a time paradox would result. And then there is Artron energy, which is not part of the four forces known on earth, and has something to do with how time works. Time Lord biology was influenced by exposure to Artron energy, which allows things like regeneration, which would otherwise violate the second law of thermodynamics.

One of the episodes talks about it having the last of the huon particle in the universe. I can't remember which one though.

Julio R said:
One of the episodes talks about it having the last of the huon particle in the universe. I can't remember which one though.

That is the one with Donna. The Christmas Bride I believe.

Rolen said:
Romana, one of the Tom Baker companions, was, indeed, a time lord. River Song (who actually married the doctor!) was Rory and Amy's daughter, conceived on the Tardis when they took off with the doctor after their wedding. She "lived backwards" to the Doctor, the first time he met her being the last time she would meet him and vice-versa.

<h2>What is "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?</h2><p>"Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community" is an online community for fans of the popular science fiction TV show, Doctor Who. It is a place for fans to connect, share their love for the show, and discuss theories and episodes.</p><h2>How can I join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?</h2><p>You can join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community" by creating an account on the community website. This will give you access to all the features and discussions on the site.</p><h2>What can I expect from being a member of "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?</h2><p>As a member of "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community", you can expect to interact with other fans, participate in discussions, and share your thoughts and opinions on the show. You may also have access to exclusive content and events.</p><h2>Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?</h2><p>Yes, there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure a respectful and enjoyable experience for all members. These include being respectful of others, avoiding spoilers, and refraining from any form of discrimination or harassment.</p><h2>Can I invite my friends to join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?</h2><p>Absolutely! In fact, we encourage you to invite your friends to join the community and share their love for Doctor Who with others. The more, the merrier! Just make sure they also follow the rules and guidelines of the community.</p>

What is "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?

"Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community" is an online community for fans of the popular science fiction TV show, Doctor Who. It is a place for fans to connect, share their love for the show, and discuss theories and episodes.

How can I join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?

You can join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community" by creating an account on the community website. This will give you access to all the features and discussions on the site.

What can I expect from being a member of "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?

As a member of "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community", you can expect to interact with other fans, participate in discussions, and share your thoughts and opinions on the show. You may also have access to exclusive content and events.

Are there any rules or guidelines for participating in "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?

Yes, there are rules and guidelines in place to ensure a respectful and enjoyable experience for all members. These include being respectful of others, avoiding spoilers, and refraining from any form of discrimination or harassment.

Can I invite my friends to join "Dr Who Fans Unite - Join the Community"?

Absolutely! In fact, we encourage you to invite your friends to join the community and share their love for Doctor Who with others. The more, the merrier! Just make sure they also follow the rules and guidelines of the community.