Where can I find helpful resources for abstract algebra?

In summary, abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures by focusing on their abstract properties. It has applications in many fields, including physics and computer science. Resources for learning abstract algebra include textbooks, online courses and lectures, and practice problems. Prior knowledge in basic algebra, set theory, number theory, and linear algebra is recommended. Online communities and forums, such as MathOverflow and Reddit's r/AbstractAlgebra, are also available for discussion and sharing resources.
DeeAytch
I was wondering if anyone has compiled a list of AA resources. Recently, I have found that I practically need to learn everything from the class outside of class all over again. I have been playing around with YouTube, but haven't really found anything worthwhile.

So, what about you guys? Anything particularly useful?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks a lot, that was really helpful. Wikipedia portals seem really fun in general!

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, by focusing on their abstract properties rather than specific numerical examples. It is a fundamental area of mathematics that has applications in many other fields, including physics, computer science, and cryptography.

2. What are some resources for learning abstract algebra?

There are many resources available for learning abstract algebra, including textbooks, online courses and lectures, and practice problems. Some popular textbooks include "Abstract Algebra" by David S. Dummit and Richard M. Foote, and "A Book of Abstract Algebra" by Charles C. Pinter. Online resources such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare also offer free lectures and practice problems for learning abstract algebra.

3. How can abstract algebra be applied in real life?

Abstract algebra has many applications in real life, particularly in the fields of physics and computer science. For example, group theory, a branch of abstract algebra, is used in quantum mechanics to describe symmetries in physical systems. In computer science, abstract algebra is used in cryptography to develop secure coding systems.

4. What are the prerequisites for learning abstract algebra?

To have a strong understanding of abstract algebra, it is recommended to have a solid foundation in basic algebra, including topics such as solving equations, manipulating expressions, and working with polynomials. Knowledge of set theory, number theory, and linear algebra can also be helpful.

5. Are there any online communities or forums for discussing abstract algebra?

Yes, there are several online communities and forums dedicated to discussing abstract algebra. These include MathOverflow, Reddit's r/AbstractAlgebra, and the Abstract Algebra Forum on Art of Problem Solving. These forums provide a space for students and professionals to ask and answer questions, share resources and insights, and connect with others who are interested in abstract algebra.