Can a spy satellite read the house number on your mailbox?

• Thread starter Plasmosis1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Satellite
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a concave mirror on a spy satellite located 200km above the Earth to see objects using yellow light at 600 nm. The Rayleigh criterion formula and the formula for focus are mentioned as potentially useful, but it is concluded that there is not enough information to accurately determine what the satellite could see.
Plasmosis1
If the spy satellite, which is 200km above the earth, uses a concave mirror 2m in diameter and yellow light at 600 nm find the answer. show all formulas and work to support the correct solution. with that resolving power what could the spy satellite actually see? (ignore variations in air density and temperature.)

The only formulas that I can see as being useful are: thetamin = 1.22*Wavelength/distance (Rayleigh criterion) and 1/focus =1/object+1/image

Quite frankly I don't think there is enough information to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plasmosis1 said:
The only formulas that I can see as being useful are: thetamin = 1.22*Wavelength/distance (Rayleigh criterion)
"Distance" should be "size of the object" (or, alternatively, size of the mirror).
You can use that formula to calculate everything in this problem.

1. Can a spy satellite really read the house number on my mailbox?

Yes, spy satellites are equipped with powerful cameras that can capture detailed images of objects on the ground, including house numbers on mailboxes.

2. How accurate is the reading of a spy satellite on a house number?

The accuracy of a spy satellite's reading on a house number depends on various factors such as weather conditions, satellite altitude, and angle of view. However, these satellites are designed to capture high-resolution images, so the reading is usually very accurate.

3. Is it legal for a spy satellite to read my house number?

The use of spy satellites is regulated by laws and government agencies. In most cases, they are used for national security purposes and are not allowed to target individuals or private properties without a warrant. So, in general, it is not legal for a spy satellite to specifically read your house number.

4. Can a spy satellite read my house number in real-time?

Spy satellites do not have the capability to read numbers in real-time. They capture images and send them back to ground stations where they are analyzed and processed. This process can take some time, so the reading of a house number may not be in real-time.

5. How can I protect my privacy from spy satellites reading my house number?

To protect your privacy from spy satellites, you can use tactics such as placing your mailbox in a shaded area, using a smaller font for your house number, or even covering your mailbox with a cloth or object when you are not expecting mail. However, it is important to note that spy satellites are not commonly used for civilian surveillance, so the likelihood of your house number being specifically targeted is very low.