Confusion with Einstein tensor notation

In summary, the equation \Lambda \eta \Lambda^{-1} = \eta in the Einstein convention can be written as \eta_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\rho}\Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\sigma} = \eta_{\rho\sigma} by raising the \mu index and lowering the \rho index on the first \Lambda using the metric tensor. This results in both \Lambda's being of the same form and both seeming to be inverses.
Loro

Homework Statement

I'm confused about writing down the equation: [itex] \Lambda \eta \Lambda^{-1} = \eta [/itex] in the Einstein convention.

Homework Equations

The answer is: [itex] \eta_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\rho}\Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\sigma} = \eta_{\rho\sigma}[/itex]

However it's strange because there seems to be no distinction between [itex]\Lambda[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda^{-1}[/itex] if we write it this way.
However we know that:

[itex](\Lambda^{-1})^{\mu}{}_{\nu} = \Lambda_{\nu}{}^{\mu} [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

If the equation was instead [itex] \Lambda B \Lambda^{-1} = B [/itex]

Where [itex] B [/itex] is a tensor given in the form [itex] B^{\mu}{}_{\nu}[/itex] then it's clear to me how to write it:

[itex] \Lambda^{\rho}{}_{\mu} B^{\mu}{}_{\nu} \Lambda_{\sigma}{}^{\nu} = B^{\rho}{}_{\sigma}[/itex]

But [itex] \eta [/itex] is given in the form [itex] \eta^{\mu\nu} [/itex] and I don't understand how I can contract it with both [itex] \Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\nu} [/itex] and [itex] \Lambda_{\nu}{}^{\mu} [/itex] in order to arrive eventually at the result quoted in (2).

Physics news on Phys.org
Loro said:

Homework Statement

I'm confused about writing down the equation: [itex] \Lambda \eta \Lambda^{-1} = \eta [/itex] in the Einstein convention.

Homework Equations

The answer is: [itex] \eta_{\mu\nu}\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\rho}\Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\sigma} = \eta_{\rho\sigma}[/itex]

However it's strange because there seems to be no distinction between [itex]\Lambda[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda^{-1}[/itex] if we write it this way.
However we know that:

Where [itex] B [/itex] is a tensor given in the form [itex] B^{\mu}{}_{\nu}[/itex] then it's clear to me how to write it:

[itex] \Lambda^{\rho}{}_{\mu} B^{\mu}{}_{\nu} \Lambda_{\sigma}{}^{\nu} = B^{\rho}{}_{\sigma}[/itex]

But [itex] \eta [/itex] is given in the form [itex] \eta^{\mu\nu} [/itex] and I don't understand how I can contract it with both [itex] \Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\nu} [/itex] and [itex] \Lambda_{\nu}{}^{\mu} [/itex] in order to arrive eventually at the result quoted in (2).

Is there an actual question? :tongue:

So, your confusion is how (2) works?

Haha sorry :tongue:

I would like to know why (2) works, and possibly how I could arrive at it, starting from an expression that has both [itex]\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\nu}[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda_{\nu}{}^{\mu}[/itex].

Loro said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

However we know that:

Well, just raise the ##\mu## index and lower the ##\rho## index on the first ##\Lambda## in your form with the B tensor using the metric tensor.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Like that: ?

[itex] \Lambda_{\rho}{}^{\mu} \eta_{\mu}{}_{\nu} \Lambda_{\sigma}{}^{\nu} = \eta_{\rho}{}_{\sigma} [/itex]

But then again both [itex]\Lambda[/itex]'s are of the same form - this time they both seem to be inverses.

1. What is Einstein tensor notation?

Einstein tensor notation is a mathematical notation used in the theory of general relativity to represent the equations of general relativity in a concise and compact form. It was developed by physicist Albert Einstein and is also known as index notation or tensor index notation.

2. How is Einstein tensor notation used in general relativity?

Einstein tensor notation is used to represent the equations of general relativity, which describe the relationship between the curvature of spacetime and the distribution of matter and energy. It allows for the calculation of the curvature of spacetime at any point, given the distribution of matter and energy in that point.

3. What are the advantages of using Einstein tensor notation?

One of the main advantages of Einstein tensor notation is that it allows for the equations of general relativity to be expressed in a compact and concise form, making them easier to work with and manipulate. It also allows for a more intuitive understanding of the relationships between different variables in the equations.

4. What are some common sources of confusion with Einstein tensor notation?

One common source of confusion with Einstein tensor notation is the use of Greek letters as indices, which can be unfamiliar to those who are not familiar with mathematical notation. Another source of confusion is the use of superscripts and subscripts to represent different components of the tensors.

5. How can I learn more about Einstein tensor notation?

If you are interested in learning more about Einstein tensor notation, you can start by studying the basics of tensor algebra and differential geometry. There are also many resources available online that provide more in-depth explanations and examples of using Einstein tensor notation in general relativity. Additionally, consulting with a physicist or mathematician can also be helpful in understanding the concepts and equations involved.