A simple question about coordinate sytems

• Thread starter Permanence
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coordinate
In summary, the conversation discusses a student's exam question about vectors in the xy plane and their professor's marking off a point for not including the z coordinate. The student asks for a second opinion and provides a link to a similar homework problem. They also express their intention to discuss the issue with their instructor and possibly escalate it to a higher authority. The conversation ends with the student thanking the other participant for their input.
Permanence
Hi I didn't post this in homework help, as I didn't feel my question belonged there. If it doesn't belong here, my apologies.

I recently took an exam and it turns out I got the first question wrong according to my professor. The problem states:
"In the diagram four vectors are represented by arrows in the xy plane. Each division represents 1 meter" "What is vector d?"
Because the problem stated it was in the XY plane I put the answer as <-3,4>, but my professor took off a point for not accounting for the z coordinate.

I'd like a second opinion please.

http://gyazo.com/b54c3535fd7fd5f95138e7af3e68d786.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did your homework questions on this subject usually have you write the Z coordinate even when zero or when the problem was stated to be in an XY plane?

Yes, but on our homework questions it would clearly state it was an XYZ coordinate system and include a Z axis. I thought the problem was a trick question to make sure we were paying attention and not writing the z just for the sake of writing it.

Here is a similar homework problem:
http://gyazo.com/4b63e64b66621fa1a50f41cec00146e7.png

I think that problem alone warrants me to the right to question my professors solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd talk to your instructor, explain what went on in your mind, and then see if he will give the point back. If he won't, then I'd ask him to change the question to state it was an XYZ plane in order to avoid future confusion. In any case I'd say it's up to him. Of course, if you REALLY want to get into it you can always go to whoever is above him.

Permanence said:
I think that problem alone warrants me to the right to question my professors solution.

Personally I agree. Just remember that if you're ever confused on what a question is asking you, ask the instructor or test proctor or whoever.

Thank you very much Drakkith. I hate confrontations, but I'll go to her office hours soon. This is resolved.

What is a coordinate system?

A coordinate system is a mathematical system used to determine the position or location of a point in space. It uses a set of numbers or coordinates to describe the position of a point relative to a reference point or origin.

What are the different types of coordinate systems?

There are three main types of coordinate systems: Cartesian, polar, and spherical. Cartesian coordinates use x, y, and z axes to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. Polar coordinates use a distance and angle from a reference point. Spherical coordinates use a distance, polar angle, and azimuthal angle from a reference point.

How are coordinate systems used in science?

Coordinate systems are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, astronomy, and engineering. They are used to describe the position and movement of objects, map locations on Earth, and plot data in graphs and charts.

What are some common applications of coordinate systems?

Coordinate systems have many practical applications, such as navigation systems, GPS devices, and mapping tools. They are also used in computer graphics, robotics, and 3D modeling.

How do I convert between different coordinate systems?

To convert between coordinate systems, you need to know the equations or transformations that relate the coordinates in one system to another. These equations will vary depending on the type of coordinate system. You can find conversion formulas online or in textbooks, or use specialized software programs for more complex conversions.