Deflection simply supported beam

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for the deflection at midspan of a simply supported beam with two triangular loads on each side. The equations used are the deflection equation and the elastic curve equation. After correcting some errors, the final answer is found to be \frac{QL^4}{120EI}.
raymanmusic

Homework Statement

How do I find an expression for the deflection at midspan of this beam? The beam is simply supported and there is two triangular loads on each side of the beam.

Illustration of problem: http://goo.gl/gk68Fl

Homework Equations

[itex]Deflection = \Delta = \int \frac{Mx*mx}{EI}[/itex]
Elastic curve equation of the simply supported beam for this case:
[itex]\delta = \frac{Qx}{960LEI}(5L^2-4x^2)^2[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I found Mx and mx, and I integrate from [itex]\frac{L}{2}[/itex] to [itex]L[/itex]. My answer is: [itex]\frac{QL^4}{120EI}[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
raymanmusic: After you integrated from 0.5*L to L, did you multiply by 2? You must multiply by 2, which I think you did, because your current answer in post 1 is correct.

Last edited:
Actually I did not multiply by 2, but I still got the correct answer. What did I do wrong?

Attempt at a solution: http://goo.gl/qFYMoG

raymanmusic: First, your expression for qx currently looks wrong.

Secondly, your domain (0.5*L, L) for mx looks different from your domain for Mx. But then you combine these two incompatible domains in your integral. Or are you seeing a novel approach I did not envision yet?

Last edited:
Thanks! I've made some corrections to my calculations. I think it's easier to understand now.

Attempt at solution: http://goo.gl/qFYMoG

Excellent work, raymanmusic. Your answer is correct.

What is a deflection simply supported beam?

A deflection simply supported beam is a structural element that is supported at two points and is able to bend under load. It is commonly used in construction and engineering projects.

What factors affect the deflection of a simply supported beam?

The deflection of a simply supported beam is affected by the material properties of the beam, the load applied, the length of the beam, and the supports at either end.

How is deflection calculated for a simply supported beam?

Deflection for a simply supported beam can be calculated using the formula: D = (5WL^4)/(384EI), where D is the deflection, W is the load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia.

What are the units of measurement for deflection in a simply supported beam?

The units of measurement for deflection in a simply supported beam are typically expressed in inches or millimeters.

What are some common applications of a simply supported beam?

Simply supported beams are commonly used in structures such as bridges, buildings, and roof systems. They are also used in the design of machinery, furniture, and other load-bearing structures.