Is Mass an Illusion? Exploring the Science of Fields

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, it seems that mass is only a human concept and that action reaction is purely in the fields interactions.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Is mass imaginary? I am only a observer of science so please excuse
blatant miss use of it.
It seems to me that Mass is only "given" to a particle via an unfound
field, "the higgs", I know that if an object hits me it will hurt, but i am
also a composition of fields, could it be that mass is only a human
concept and that action reaction is purely in the fields interactions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is a table an illusion just because it "really" exists of gazillions of atoms with lots of empty space between them?

Is a table an illusion just because it "really" exists of gazillions of atoms with lots of empty space between them?
Yes to us the table exists, but would the table be "felt" by the field.

What do you mean by field feelings?

One problem in science is that MASS "has" to be given to particles by
some, as yet to be found mechanism, so all we have to date is "fields",
if this magical giver of mass is not found, then action, reaction must be
a product of the fields, thus mass may only have meaning to "life forms".

If mass is caused by a field, then that field is what mass is. If it is caused by something else, then that is what mass is. I don't see your point.

what color is the table

and can you hear the table (when you hit it), see the table, smell the table, feel the table, (and if you are brave) taste the table?

For each one you answer yes in, it exist in that way. For the avearage human, the moon does not exist in a way it can be felt, but it does exist in a way it can be seen, and it can exist in a way that it affects Earth with its gravitainional pull.

For each one you answer yes in, it exist in that way. For the avearage human, the moon does not exist in a way it can be felt, but it does exist in a way it can be seen, and it can exist in a way that it affects Earth with its gravitainional pull.

Gravitational pull yes, but human sences are nothing but learn reactions to
stimuli, gravitational pull is in the field theory, human sences are not.

philosofically speaking, I have not much to say about mass because I don't find a description and definition of it that I need to derive ideas. But scientifically speaking, the hypothesis that mass is an ilsuion created by men has been there for centuries, even milenias. But in modert scientce, especially in physics, if it was discovered that mass was an illusion it owuld have horrible consequences because many of the formulas, theories, laws, concepts and ideas use and have on them the axiom of mass. If it stopos being an axiom, the only other fundamental concept apart from this one is space, and time, so resumed the only one left would be dimensions. My question is, would science be able to be stable with only one brick in the bottom? it seems hard, and it also seems that science is growing and building like an upside-down pyramid.

1. What is meant by the term "mass illusion" in relation to fields?

The term "mass illusion" refers to the concept that the perception of mass in objects is actually a result of the interaction between the object and the surrounding fields. In other words, mass is not an inherent property of an object, but rather a manifestation of the influence of fields on that object.

2. How do fields interact with matter to create the illusion of mass?

Fields, such as electromagnetic and gravitational fields, exert a force on matter. This force causes the matter to accelerate and move, giving the appearance of mass. The strength of the field and the distance between the object and the source of the field determine the amount of force and therefore, the perceived mass.

3. Can mass be completely explained by fields, or are there other factors at play?

While fields play a significant role in creating the illusion of mass, there are other factors at play as well. For example, the Higgs boson, a particle discovered in 2012, is believed to give particles their mass. Additionally, the concept of inertia, or an object's resistance to change in motion, also plays a role in the perception of mass.

4. How does the concept of mass being an illusion impact our understanding of the universe?

The idea of mass being an illusion has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It challenges traditional notions of mass and matter and highlights the importance of fields in shaping our reality. It also opens up new avenues for research and exploration in the field of physics.

5. Is the concept of mass being an illusion widely accepted in the scientific community?

The idea of mass being an illusion is a relatively new concept and is still being explored and debated in the scientific community. While some researchers and physicists support this idea, others argue that mass is a fundamental property of matter. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully understand the role of fields in creating the illusion of mass.