Hooking people and conveying complex ideas

In summary: An illustrated cartoon would be best. It can be amusing, feature a pretty girl, and help to keep them engaged.
wavering
Gold Member
I am trying to get a very complex technical idea across to people who are not really techies. The problem is to capture their attention and then get the idea across painlessly! Currently, they arrive on my website and leave 10 seconds later ...

So, they are NOT a captive audience

I assume that being amusing, featuring a pretty girl etc would help but I am curious to see which is likely to be best

1. A very simple written explanation, maybe with the occasional drawing
2. An illustrated cartoon
3. An animated cartoon video to go on youtube
4. A real video to go on youtube

Or something else? The problem would be akin to explaining Special relativity. I don't need them to become experts but at least stay until the end and have a general idea of what this is about.

In the first instance, let's assume they are all fluent English speakers and fairly young(ish)

Anybody got any experience of solving this kind of problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
wavering said:
I am trying to get a very complex technical idea across to people who are not really techies. The problem is to capture their attention and then get the idea across painlessly! Currently, they arrive on my website and leave 10 seconds later ...

So, they are NOT a captive audience

I assume that being amusing, featuring a pretty girl etc would help but I am curious to see which is likely to be best

1. A very simple written explanation, maybe with the occasional drawing
2. An illustrated cartoon
3. An animated cartoon video to go on youtube
4. A real video to go on youtube

Or something else? The problem would be akin to explaining Special relativity. I don't need them to become experts but at least stay until the end and have a general idea of what this is about.

In the first instance, let's assume they are all fluent English speakers and fairly young(ish)

Anybody got any experience of solving this kind of problem?

Yeah, shock them: present an interesting, high-quality graphics no one has ever seen before but is easy to understand and interact with.

1. How can I make my ideas more engaging and understandable to others?

There are a few key strategies for hooking people and conveying complex ideas. One is to use storytelling techniques to help people connect with your ideas on a personal level. Another is to use analogies or metaphors to explain complex concepts in simpler terms. Additionally, creating visual aids or interactive demonstrations can help make your ideas more tangible and memorable.

2. How do I know if my message is getting across to my audience?

It's important to actively listen and observe your audience's reactions and responses. Are they asking questions, nodding in agreement, or appearing confused? This can give you a sense of whether your message is resonating with them. You can also ask for feedback from a trusted colleague or conduct surveys to gather more data on how well your ideas are being conveyed.

3. How can I grab people's attention and keep them engaged throughout my presentation or discussion?

One effective way to hook people and maintain their interest is to use a variety of techniques such as humor, interactive activities, and visual aids. You can also try breaking up your presentation into smaller chunks, incorporating pauses for questions or discussions, and using a conversational tone to keep your audience engaged.

4. What should I do if I am struggling to convey a particularly complex or technical idea?

It can be challenging to explain complex ideas, but there are a few strategies you can use. First, try breaking down the concept into smaller, more manageable pieces. You can also use real-world examples or case studies to illustrate your point. If possible, involve your audience in the discussion and ask for their input or insights.

5. How can I adapt my communication style to better connect with different types of people?

It's important to be aware of your audience and their backgrounds, knowledge, and learning styles. You can adapt your communication style by using language and examples that are relatable to your audience, avoiding jargon or technical terms, and actively listening to their feedback and adjusting accordingly. Building rapport and establishing a comfortable and inclusive environment can also help people feel more engaged and connected with your ideas.