Star Trek (2009) and black hole planet collapse

In summary, in the movie "Star Trek" of 2009, the destruction of the planet Vulcan by the formation of a black hole in its core may not be an accurate depiction according to real physics. If a black hole were to be created in a planet's core, the destruction would most likely happen much faster and result in the planet being shredded rather than exploding. The intense radiation and gravity of the black hole would also make it unlikely for anything, including the Enterprise, to survive nearby. The concept of "red matter" and its effects on the formation of a black hole may not align with scientific principles.
sshai45
Hi.

I was wondering about this. In the "Star Trek" movie of 2009, the destruction of the planet Vulcan is shown, by a black hole being formed in its core. I'm curious: supposing you had some means to create, or collapse part of the planet to form, a black hole in its core, what would, according to real physics, the ensuing destruction of the planet look like, versus how it was depicted in this film?

Physics news on Phys.org
sshai45 said:
Hi.

I was wondering about this. In the "Star Trek" movie of 2009, the destruction of the planet Vulcan is shown, by a black hole being formed in its core. I'm curious: supposing you had some means to create, or collapse part of the planet to form, a black hole in its core, what would, according to real physics, the ensuing destruction of the planet look like, versus how it was depicted in this film?

I think the whole thing would happen much, much faster than what is depicted in the movie. I have seen simulations of a neutron star collapsing into a black hole, and the time scale is milliseconds. Also, because the planet is rotating, it could not just fall in and disappear as shown in the movie, because it couldn't shed its angular momentum fast enough. So I think part of the planet would be ejected into space, and part would form an accretion disk around the black hole.

But in the neutron-star example, the mass to form the black hole comes from the star.
In the movie - the mass comes from the planet ... and whatever effect the physics of red unobtainuim has.
How it would go depends on what you assume that physics is.

See the link in post #2.

Since the whole thing is magic rather than science, you can pretty much make up whatever rules you like.

phinds said:
Since the whole thing is magic rather than science, you can pretty much make up whatever rules you like.

Well, in my case I was imagining that maybe the creation of the black hole may be "magic" as you say, but once created, it acts like a real black hole. What happens?

phyzguy said:
I think the whole thing would happen much, much faster than what is depicted in the movie. I have seen simulations of a neutron star collapsing into a black hole, and the time scale is milliseconds. Also, because the planet is rotating, it could not just fall in and disappear as shown in the movie, because it couldn't shed its angular momentum fast enough. So I think part of the planet would be ejected into space, and part would form an accretion disk around the black hole.

So if "part is ejected", then might it look more like Alderaan blowing up in Star Wars?

Once the apropriate amount of pixie dust ... I mean "Red Matter" is added to form said black hole, the planet would shred rather then explode. It is being sucked in on itself as its spinning so the entire planet would turn to mulch and some of it would spiral into the hole and part of it would spin outwards. Google video simulations of Black holes feeding to see graphics on what it looks like.

DHF said:
Once the apropriate amount of pixie dust ... I mean "Red Matter" is added to form said black hole, the planet would shred rather then explode. It is being sucked in on itself as its spinning so the entire planet would turn to mulch and some of it would spiral into the hole and part of it would spin outwards. Google video simulations of Black holes feeding to see graphics on what it looks like.

Won't the matter at some point reach several million degrees somewhere in the process? What kind of radiation would that throw off (the "4th power law" and Planck (for the peak wavelength) suggest "oh crap", but that doesn't take into account the fact that a disrupted, swirling mass of planetary stuff is not the same as a simple, ideal blackbody radiator, for one, there could be a lot of intervening material between the hot core and the outside)? How much trouble would the Enterprise have been in, with all that going on just a few tends of thousands of km away from it?

oh If you introduce even a shred of reality into this scenario then the Enterprise is dust. The radiation alone probably would have killed them all.

In order to generate that much "suction" through gravitational means, that stuff inside the planet must have orders upon orders and orders and then some more orders of mass relative to the planet.

HomogenousCow said:
In order to generate that much "suction" through gravitational means, that stuff inside the planet must have orders upon orders and orders and then some more orders of mass relative to the planet.

What? You don't believe in the magic of "red matter" ?

phyzguy said:
Also, because the planet is rotating, it could not just fall in and disappear as shown in the movie, because it couldn't shed its angular momentum fast enough.

If the black hole forms in the center of the planet, then most of the insides of the planet are gone by the time you see the surface collapse. The gravity at the surface would not change, but the mater holding it up would vanish, causing everything to fall inward, even at the equator where angular momentum is greatest. If anything got ejected, I can't see it escaping past where the original surface had been before falling back in.

Phil Platt says that the black hole (I assume he means the event horizon) would only be the size of a golf ball, but it is still consuming matter from all directions at the speed of light! And given the intense pressure inside a planet, I think there would be a much larger "heavy enough" horizon where the inward flow pressure would prevent anything BUT light from escaping. Maybe even a "neutron horizon" where everything becomes neutronium before falling into the hole?

There would be plenty of heat generated, but at the core of a planet it is already very hot - would more heat make a difference? And wouldn't the black hole consume much of the extra heat? Until the crust collapses, the heat can't go anywhere else.

(Side note, if two black holes have the same mass, can one be hotter than the other?)

If anything got ejected, I can't see it escaping past where the original surface had been before falling back in.
Jets, light, ...?
And given the intense pressure inside a planet
Completely negligible compared to all parameters relevant for the black hole.
Maybe even a "neutron horizon" where everything becomes neutronium before falling into the hole?
Is that a wild speculation or do you have any argument for that?
There would be plenty of heat generated, but at the core of a planet it is already very hot - would more heat make a difference?
The current temperature is completely negligible to typical temperatures of the inner parts of accretion disks.
And wouldn't the black hole consume much of the extra heat?
Not in a way that it would cool down.
(Side note, if two black holes have the same mass, can one be hotter than the other?)
No, but the temperatures outside can vary.

Really the whole drama of drilling a hole to the planet's core and dropping a black hole inside served no purpose other then giving the heroes a chance to fight. the show would have been much much shorter if they just pulled up to a planet and shot a pellet of Red matter at it. I think the planet would suffer an equally unpleasant fate. I can't imagine a black hole forming on the surface would be any less destructive then forming at the center.

Wasn't part of the plot that shooting a pellet of red-matter at a star had a devastating effect?
But - villains tend to go for melodrama so maybe the slow inward collapse was a carefully calculated effect: the better to make Spok suffer in a particularly poetic way?

Star Trek is generally pretty silly.

1. What is the premise of "Star Trek (2009) and black hole planet collapse?"

The premise of "Star Trek (2009) and black hole planet collapse" is that the villain, Nero, uses a black hole to destroy entire planets in order to exact revenge on Spock and the rest of the Vulcan race.

2. Is the idea of a black hole destroying a planet scientifically accurate?

No, the idea of a black hole destroying a planet is not scientifically accurate. In reality, the gravitational pull of a black hole would likely cause a planet to orbit around it, rather than being destroyed by it.

3. How does the use of a black hole in "Star Trek (2009)" compare to real-life black hole research?

The use of a black hole in "Star Trek (2009)" is purely for entertainment purposes and does not accurately reflect current research on black holes. Real-life research on black holes focuses on their effects on nearby objects and their role in the evolution of galaxies.

4. Can a planet really be destroyed by a black hole collapsing into it?

No, a planet cannot be destroyed by a black hole collapsing into it. The mass of a planet would not be enough to cause the collapse of a black hole. Additionally, the extreme gravitational forces of a black hole would likely cause the planet to disintegrate before it could be consumed.

5. Why did the filmmakers choose to use a black hole in the destruction of Vulcan in "Star Trek (2009)?"

The filmmakers likely chose to use a black hole in the destruction of Vulcan as a way to create a visually stunning and dramatic event. It also serves as a plot device to explain the sudden disappearance of an entire planet and its inhabitants. Additionally, the use of a black hole aligns with the sci-fi elements and themes present in the Star Trek franchise.