Uncertainties in Srednicki's Book

• Thread starter JILIN
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation discusses questions about certain equations and statements in Srednicki's book, including the Lorentz-invariant number <p|\phi (0)|0>, the parameters in equations (5.26) and (5.27), and the g-dependence in equations (9.9) and (9.18). The conversation also delves into the importance of Lorentz-invariance and the assumptions made in the normalization conditions for interacting fields. The conversation concludes with the understanding that the Lorentz transformations in the free and interacting theories are the same, and therefore the free-field calculation can be applied.
JILIN
I have questions about chapters 5 & 9 in Srednicki's book.

Below eq. (5.18), he says "$<p|\phi (0)|0>$ is a Lorentz-invariant number.", but I do not know why.

Below eq. (5.26), he says "After shifting and rescailing (and renaming some parameters)".
Are $m$ and $g$ in eq. (5.26) different from ones in eq. (5.27)?

Below eq. (9.9), he says "as we will see, "$Y=O(g)$ and $Z_i =1+O(g^2)$", which means these g-dependence is just the expectation at this stage.
In eq. (9.18), however, he used $Z_g =1+O(g^2)$ without showing this $Z_g$-behavior.
Is my understanding incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. This is not really important. It's a number. Don't worry about whether it's Lorentz invariant or not.

2. Yes.

3. He's still assuming it. He shows it in a later chapter.

Thank you very much!
I understand 2 & 3, but sorry I do not fully understand 1.

I think that the Lorentz-invariance of [itex]<p|\phi (0)|0>[/itex] is important.
[itex]<p|\phi (0)|0>[/itex] should be just some number that is independent of [itex]p^\mu[/itex], and it is the Lorentz-invariance that makes [itex]<p|\phi (0)|0>[/itex] be, i.e., the Lorentz-invariance imposes the condition that [itex]<p|\phi (0)|0>[/itex] is a function of [itex]p^2=-m^2[/itex] (number).
In other words, when we do not consider the Lorentz-invariance, is there no possibility that [itex]<p|\phi (0)|0>=p_x[/itex], for example?

Look at eq 3.14 and let x=0, you get [itex]\phi (0)[/itex] replace it in [itex]<p|\phi (0)|0>[/itex] by the integral
put <p| and |0> in the integral. Look at p 26: f(k) is chosen so that the result is lorentz invariant.

Last edited:
Thank you, naima.

For "free" field, you are right.
But now in chap. 9 we consider "interacting" field, and ##\phi (0)## is interacting one.
Thus, I do not think we can use eqs. in chap. 3 to prove ##<p| \phi (0) |0>## is Lorentz-invariant.

How about following one?
For ##t=\pm \infty##, ##\phi (x)## becomes free field.
Then, ##<p| \phi (x) |0>## is Lorentz-invariant as you explained.
Therefore, the r.h.s ##e^{-ipx}<p| \phi (0) |0>## is Lorentz-invariant, too.
Since ##e^{-ipx}## is of course Lorentz-invariant, we conclude that ##<p| \phi (0) |0>## also is.

Sredinski writes that he assumes this normalization condition (to have a coherent theory). This has not to be proven.

The Lorentz transformations of the fields and the one-particle states are the same in the free and interacting theories, so the free-field calculation applies.

Thank you, naima & Avodyne.
I understand.

JILIN said:
For ##t=\pm \infty##, ##\phi (x)## becomes free field.
Take the Higgs in the ## \phi^4 ## theory. he is never free. he is always self interacting to keep its mass.
When Srednicki studies this family of self interacting theories he says that he has to admit four normalization conditions. they cannot be derived.

Thank you for your instructive comment!

1. What is the main focus of Srednicki's book?

The main focus of Srednicki's book is on quantum field theory, which is a theoretical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How does Srednicki explain the mathematical concepts in the book?

Srednicki uses a combination of diagrams, equations, and examples to explain the mathematical concepts in the book. He also provides detailed derivations and explanations to help readers understand the reasoning behind the equations.

3. Is Srednicki's book suitable for beginners in quantum field theory?

No, Srednicki's book is primarily aimed at graduate students and researchers in theoretical physics. It assumes a strong background in mathematics and physics, and may be challenging for beginners in the field.

4. Does Srednicki's book cover both classical and quantum field theory?

Srednicki's book focuses solely on quantum field theory. It does not cover classical field theory, which is a separate branch of physics that deals with classical fields such as electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

5. Are there any online resources available for Srednicki's book?

Yes, there are several online resources available for Srednicki's book, including lecture notes, problem sets, and video lectures. These can be found on the author's website or through a simple internet search.