Can a Differential Equation Have an Unrelated Variable?

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Definitions
In summary: The point is that you can not solve for y as a function of x, because the equation does not provide enough information.In summary, the initial equation presented is an example of an ordinary differential equation with two related variables. Adding an unrelated variable does not meet the definition of a differential equation and it is not possible to solve for y as a function of x in this case. The added variable can be treated as a constant, but not as a variable in the equation.
MathewsMD
I'm not sure if this is particularly important, but so far through my studies I've only encountered DE with two related variables (e.g. ## \frac {dy}{dx} = 3x##).

Now, given another function with an additional variable that is UNRELATED to the two other variables, can this still be considered a differential equation (e.g. ## \frac {dy}{dx} = 3x + z## where z is a random variable)? Does this not meet it's definition?

If I'm not mistaken, all the variables have to be related and it is possible to have DE with infinite variables, as long as they are all related. Is my understanding wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:
I'm not sure if this is particularly important, but so far through my studies I've only encountered DE with two related variables (e.g. ## \frac {dy}{dx} = 3x##).

Now, given another function with an additional variable that is UNRELATED to the two other variables, can this still be considered a differential equation (e.g. ## \frac {dy}{dx} = 3x + z## where z is a random variable)? Does this not meet it's definition?
I would say no. Your first equation above is an example of an ordinary differential equation, in which you typically have one variable as a function of another. The assumption is that y = f(x), for some unknown function of a single independent variable.

Another type of differential equation is the partial differential equation, or PDE, in which you typically have a dependent variable that is a function of two or more independent variables, and the equation to be solved is some combination of partial derivatives of the unknown function.

The notation dy/dx implies that y is a function of x alone. In a PDE you have partial derivatives of various orders, such as ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}## and ##\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial x^2}## and so on.

When you said that z is a random variable, you are probably unaware that "random variable" is a term widely used in statistics, with a specific meaning.
MathewsMD said:
If I'm not mistaken, all the variables have to be related and it is possible to have DE with infinite variables, as long as they are all related. Is my understanding wrong?

MathewsMD said:

You can always solve the equation ##\frac{dy}{dx} = 3x + z## by treating ##z## as a constant (if it doesn't depend on ##x##). But we don't call ##z## a variable then, but rather a parameter.

1. What is the definition of "differential equation"?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and their corresponding derivatives, and the goal is to find the function that satisfies the equation.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation (ODE) and a partial differential equation (PDE)?

An ODE involves only one independent variable, while a PDE involves multiple independent variables. Additionally, the derivatives in an ODE are with respect to the single independent variable, whereas in a PDE they can be with respect to any of the independent variables.

3. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, an equation with a first derivative would be a first order differential equation, while an equation with a second derivative would be a second order differential equation.

4. What are initial value problems and boundary value problems in the context of differential equations?

Initial value problems involve finding a solution to a differential equation that satisfies certain initial conditions, typically given in the form of a function's value and derivative at a specific point. Boundary value problems involve finding a solution that satisfies certain conditions at multiple points.

5. Can all differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all differential equations have analytic solutions. Some may require numerical methods or approximations to find a solution. However, certain types of differential equations, such as linear and separable equations, can be solved analytically.