Does the Impedance of a Capacitor Affect AC Circuits?

In summary, in a purely capacitive ac circuit, the current amplitude (Im) is equal to the voltage amplitude (Vm) times the angular frequency (ω) times the capacitance (C). However, this may not always be equal to the equation (1) as the presence of resistance can affect the voltage across the capacitor. Additionally, the impedance of the circuit is determined by the inverse of the angular frequency times the capacitance. This can be seen by comparing it to the equation V = IR, where 1/ωC plays a similar role in impeding the AC. It is important to note that this result may not apply if there is no resistance in the circuit.
Prashasti
In a purely capacitive ac circuit, we get,
Im = Vm*ω*C, ...(1)
Where, Im = Amplitude of the current
Vm = Amplitude of the voltage

Now, what I think is,
We know that in a purely capacitive circuit, voltage lags behind current by a phase difference of ∏/2 rad. So, at any time 't',
I = Im sin(ωt+∏/2)
V = Vm sinωt

Using Kirchhoff's Loop Rule,

V = Vmsinωt = q/C

Where q = charge on the capacitor at time 't',

To find the current, I = dq/dt,
dq = Idt,

q = ∫Idt

q = ∫Imcosωt dt
q = Im∫cosωt dt
q = Im*ω*sinωt

So, Vmsinωt = Im*ω*sinωt /C
Vm = Im*ω/C

Im = Vm*C/ω, which is apparently, not equal to equation (1).

Am I wrong in my approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you applied a result to a situation where it does not occur.
If there is no resistance in the circuit, then the voltage across the capacitor is going to be the same as the applied voltage - instantly. Draw the circuit diagram and see.

q = Im∫cosωt dt
q = Im*ω*sinωt

this is wrong..

q = (Im/ω)*sinωt.. You are integrating. remember not differentiating.
Vm = Im*ω/C

So this becomes

Vm = Im*1/ωC

compare this to V = IR

so 1/ωC plays the role of impeding the AC.

Likes 1 person

1. How does alternating current (AC) affect a capacitor?

AC applied to a capacitor causes it to charge and discharge at a regular interval, depending on the frequency of the AC signal. This results in an oscillating voltage across the capacitor.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC when it comes to capacitors?

DC, or direct current, causes a capacitor to charge up to a steady voltage and then remain constant. AC, or alternating current, causes the capacitor to constantly charge and discharge, resulting in an oscillating voltage.

3. Can AC damage a capacitor?

Yes, excessive AC voltage can damage a capacitor by causing it to overheat and potentially fail. It is important to use the correct voltage rating for a capacitor when using AC.

4. How does the frequency of AC affect a capacitor?

The higher the frequency of the AC signal, the faster the capacitor will charge and discharge. This means that a higher frequency will result in a higher voltage across the capacitor.

5. Why is AC commonly used with capacitors?

AC is commonly used with capacitors because it allows for the capacitor to store and release energy at a rapid rate, making it useful in many electronic circuits and devices. Additionally, AC power is more readily available in most electrical systems.