Weber-Fechner Law: Formula & Variables Explained

• Thread starter skinnyl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Law
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for an explanation of the Weber-Fechner Law for their acoustics exam, and asking for help finding the formula and variable explanation. They have tried Google but have not found what they are looking for, and someone suggests looking on websites such as Answers.com. Eventually, the person finds the information they need and thanks the group for their help.
skinnyl
Hi All!

Trying to locate a explanation for the Weber-Fechner Law. Just need the formula and the variable explanation.

if anyone has a website with it or knows it to reply here it would be applauded.

Cheers

Jack

Biology news on Phys.org
Did you try Google?

I learned enough in a google search to move this to biology.

yeah tried google, this is for my acoustics exam in a few days, so biology might not be the best place :s. The stimuli also includes sound.

Ta

Jack

skinnyl said:
yeah tried google, this is for my acoustics exam in a few days, so biology might not be the best place :s. The stimuli also includes sound.

Ta

Jack
Gee, google only returned about 6,000 websites, I would assume whatever you are looking for would be answered in one of those first few pages.

gerben said:

excellent mate.

had my browser on UK only sites so that didn't come up. does on www :tongue2:

Evo said:
Gee, google only returned about 6,000 websites, I would assume whatever you are looking for would be answered in one of those first few pages.

:uhh:

Cheers

Jack

1. What is the Weber-Fechner Law?

The Weber-Fechner Law is a psychophysics principle that describes the relationship between the physical intensity of a stimulus and the psychological perception of that stimulus.

2. Who developed the Weber-Fechner Law?

The Weber-Fechner Law was developed by two German scientists, Ernst Heinrich Weber and Gustav Theodor Fechner, in the mid-19th century.

3. What is the formula for the Weber-Fechner Law?

The formula for the Weber-Fechner Law is S = k log R, where S represents the perceived sensation, k is a constant, and R is the physical stimulus intensity.

4. What are the variables in the Weber-Fechner Law formula?

The variables in the Weber-Fechner Law formula are S (perceived sensation), k (constant), and R (physical stimulus intensity).

5. How does the Weber-Fechner Law explain human perception?

The Weber-Fechner Law explains human perception by stating that the perceived sensation of a stimulus is not directly proportional to the physical intensity of the stimulus, but rather increases logarithmically as the physical intensity increases. This means that small changes in physical intensity can result in larger changes in perceived sensation, and vice versa.