What's New in Biology Since 1977?

In summary: I think the most groundbreaking concept in Biology since 1977 has been the discovery of "emergent behavior" and the implications it has for the evolution of life.
ramollari
Has anyone heard about this book? Is it good? I have the 1977 editition. I also have another question: what has changed in biological theory and research since then? Regards.

Biology news on Phys.org
Never heard of the book. You ask what has changed since then? I can tell you what has changed in the last five years and that is already a lot! :eek: Things that were very hard to do back then are peanuts now, PCR was not even discovered until 1985.. it would be nice to have a timeline with the major discoveries, but the best I could find is this http://www.heumann.org/u1/timeline.html

ramollari said:
I also have another question: what has changed in biological theory and research since then? Regards.

I believe the most revolutionary concept in Biology since 1977 is that due to Stuart Kaufmann and the Santa Fe Group dealing with "emergent" behavior and self-organizing properties of biological systems: Termite mounds is the usual example. They don't know what they're building yet they build marvelously complex clay cathedrals. The mound is an "emergent" property of the interactions of termite, mud, and pheromone. Extending "emergent behavior" to other areas in Biology has profound consequences in regards to the evolution of life and it's myriad expressions of form.

Let me make a plug: "Self-Organization in Biological Systems" by Scott Camazine, et.al. This is a revolution in Biology!

saltydog said:
I believe the most revolutionary concept in Biology since 1977 is that due to Stuart Kaufmann and the Santa Fe Group dealing with "emergent" behavior and self-organizing properties of biological systems: Termite mounds is the usual example. They don't know what they're building yet they build marvelously complex clay cathedrals. The mound is an "emergent" property of the interactions of termite, mud, and pheromone. Extending "emergent behavior" to other areas in Biology has profound consequences in regards to the evolution of life and it's myriad expressions of form.

Let me make a plug: "Self-Organization in Biological Systems" by Scott Camazine, et.al. This is a revolution in Biology!

Yes, emergence is a new treatment of behavior in Biology and exactly the same concepts are being used in Artificial Intelligence. But when I see a contemporary book on Biology, usually the concepts have remained the same, except a more advanced treatment of the Immune System and of DNA/protein synthesis/Genetics.

ramollari said:
Yes, emergence is a new treatment of behavior in Biology and exactly the same concepts are being used in Artificial Intelligence. But when I see a contemporary book on Biology, usually the concepts have remained the same, except a more advanced treatment of the Immune System and of DNA/protein synthesis/Genetics.

Hello Ramollari.

You know, I was hoping others would comment on what they think is the most revolutionary concept in Biology in the past 30 years. I suppose Punctuated Equilibrium is another one.

Edit: You know, I'm not really sure he conceived this during the interim period or before 1977.

Last edited:

1. What is the main focus of "Otto & Towle's Modern Biology"?

The main focus of "Otto & Towle's Modern Biology" is to provide a comprehensive and up-to-date understanding of the fundamental principles of biology. It covers a wide range of topics including biochemistry, genetics, evolution, and ecology.

2. Who are the authors of "Otto & Towle's Modern Biology"?

The authors of "Otto & Towle's Modern Biology" are Kenneth R. Miller and Joseph S. Levine. Both are renowned scientists and educators with extensive experience in the field of biology.

3. Is "Otto & Towle's Modern Biology" suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Otto & Towle's Modern Biology" is suitable for beginners as it provides a clear and easy-to-understand approach to the complex concepts of biology. It includes helpful diagrams, illustrations, and real-world examples to aid in understanding.

4. Can "Otto & Towle's Modern Biology" be used as a textbook?

Yes, "Otto & Towle's Modern Biology" can be used as a textbook for high school or college-level biology courses. It is organized in a logical and structured manner, making it easy to follow along with classroom lectures or self-study.

5. Is "Otto & Towle's Modern Biology" based on current scientific research?

Yes, "Otto & Towle's Modern Biology" is based on current scientific research and includes the latest discoveries and advancements in the field of biology. The authors regularly update the content to ensure it remains relevant and accurate.